free website stats program Door seal question | Harley Davidson Forums

Door seal question

Trek

Has anyone ever heard of putting vaseline on the door seals of your car to keep them from freezing shut in the winter? If you have tried it is there any ill effects to the rubber?

Vaseline is a petroleum product, so if your door seals are rubber based it can soften and make them turn "mushy" with prolonged use, may want to ask an auto detailer what they use. I do know that Armor All evaporates, and have used STP Son of a Gun which is similar, but has UV blockers which returns them to black and new looking without attracting water.

I have used Wd-40 a few times with some measure of success. I have a truck that sits outside all year long, and I found that when we have a wet winter, sometimes the door can stick to the weatherstripping. The WD-40 does a good job of removing the moisture, and hasn't seemed to do much damage, if any at all, to the rubber seals.

I 2nd WD-40 works good, may want to apply it a couple times to allow good coverage. The vaseline will collect dirt, that turns to a slim that will end up on your hands and cloths, it will soften the seal after while and swell it also.

Back