Dont let this happen to you.

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by whatyardwork, Jul 24, 2010.

1. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

Ive had a 96 springer for 15 years.Many, many times Ive been told "shut your fuel off"..I always thought WHY?Its fine, it'll never happen to me.

Well it did!Took 15 years but it bit me right in the cant repair department.Fuel line cracked at the pet caulk (full tank of course).Ate a good chunck of powder off the motor before I caught it.

Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

2. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

Sorry for you misfortune. Read my signature

3. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

I found out real fast when they dropped off my fat boy stills now on the ground didnt turn the fuel off opened garage to that fine gas smell next day

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

That's probably the only thing I didn't like about by former bike (05 XL1200C) - non-EFI so I always had to remember fuel shut-off. Sorry to hear about your scoot getting damaged - maybe time to do some powdercoating???

5. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

AHH, I'll fix it.It makes me more worried with my 08.At least they give you a shut off with the carbd models.

What do you do when the efi 1 springs a leek?This is a major oversight by HD in my opinion.One so simple,all you have to do is walk to your basement to understand.Every major line has a shut off.

6. poohbear

poohbear Active Member

Well just think of the good thing......didn't happen when the bike was hot or even worst when you were riding

7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

if you use the quick disconnect it will shut the fuel off to the line

8. mrtn681

mrtn681 Active Member

I have got in a hurry & forgot to turn the gas back on , now that was embarrasing , LOL!

9. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

That's what BP is wishing they had installed.:small3d007:

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Always on my carbed bikes shut the gas off, my buddie never did, One spring he tried to switch to reserve the lever would not move Big Oooooops:s