free website stats program Dont know if this is the right place but... | Harley Davidson Forums

Dont know if this is the right place but...

~PK~

I just picked up a 1980 FXE / FLH Shovelhead yesterday! All its supposed to need is a new tranny to be ready to ride. I was very nervous when buying it because ive never worked on anything before...but i wanna learn. The guy even wrote on the Bill Of Sale that he guaranteed it to run when a new tranny was put in so i felt comfortable enough to go ahead and buy it. All the other parts are "supposed" to be in two boxes i have.. and i sure hope they are. Anyways just figured id share and ill probably be asking for a litle help along the way. Also gave me a service manual

27028_1244134507955_1367158452_30559786_7591506_n.jpg

I just picked up a 1980 FXE / FLH Shovelhead yesterday! All its supposed to need is a new tranny to be ready to ride. I was very nervous when buying it because ive never worked on anything before...but i wanna learn. The guy even wrote on the Bill Of Sale that he guaranteed it to run when a new tranny was put in so i felt comfortable enough to go ahead and buy it. All the other parts are "supposed" to be in two boxes i have.. and i sure hope they are. Anyways just figured id share and ill probably be asking for a litle help along the way. Also gave me a service manual

27028_1244134507955_1367158452_30559786_7591506_n.jpg

Cool welcome to the Shovelhead Club!!

FXE/FLH it does appear to be both. Is it titled as a FXE? Should be easy to get it back together.

You can get a used transmssion for 500 bucks on ebay. There are two types of four speeds; Ratchet Top and Turtle Top. The Turtle Top is the one that came in that bike(Late 78 to 83). You could also buy an aftermarket 4 or 5 speed to go in it for around 1500.00(new).

Best I can tell from the picture looks like you missing

Compensator Nut Assembly
Primary Chain
Clutch Basket and Clutch Assembely
Inner and Outer Primary
Clutch Rod and Adjustment Nut. Throw out bearing
Starter Soliniod (fork that holds soliniod)
Starter
Oil Tank
Battery, Battery Box.

Hopefully all in the box.

I would check the inner primary over for cracks. Have it welded or replaced while it is off. Follow the manual when you bolt the Inner Primary and Transmssion is place. Or the inner primary WILL CRACK.

Good Luck,

Sounds like an awesome project and you should be able to get most of the help that you need right here.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Cool welcome to the Shovelhead Club!!

Thanks!!

FXE/FLH it does appear to be both. Is it titled as a FXE? Should be easy to get it back together.

I only have a Bill Of Sale right now and he lived in another state. Ill make sure to post this info when i recieve it.

You can get a used transmssion for 500 bucks on ebay. There are two types of four speeds; Ratchet Top and Turtle Top. The Turtle Top is the one that came in that bike(Late 78 to 83). You could also buy an aftermarket 4 or 5 speed to go in it for around 1500.00(new).

Thanks again for the info!! One of my friends used to own a Shovelhead so hes gonna help me with buying parts.

Best I can tell from the picture looks like you missing

Compensator Nut Assembly
Primary Chain
Clutch Basket and Clutch Assembely
Inner and Outer Primary
Clutch Rod and Adjustment Nut. Throw out bearing
Starter Soliniod (fork that holds soliniod)
Starter
Oil Tank
Battery, Battery Box.

Hopefully all in the box.

I would check the inner primary over for cracks. Have it welded or replaced while it is off. Follow the manual when you bolt the Inner Primary and Transmssion is place. Or the inner primary WILL CRACK.

Good Luck,

Here is a photo of everything i got besides the other pipe

DSCN3589.jpg

Thanks!!

I only have a Bill Of Sale right now and he lived in another state. Ill make sure to post this info when i recieve it.

Thanks again for the info!! One of my friends used to own a Shovelhead so hes gonna help me with buying parts.

Here is a photo of everything i got besides the other pipe

DSCN3589.jpg

Looks like mostly everthing is there(maybe missing hardware). INCLUDING THE TRANSMISSION (That is a Turtle Top). They are pretty easy to rebuild. The manual steps you through it. What did he say was wrong with it ? Common problem shift forks get bent, clutches or dogs get worn(causing to pop out of gear). The plate in the top of the transmssion that locates the gears gets worn out. If the case is good, it might be cost effective to fix that transmission. It might be a simple problem. Teh transmission is not complicated at all.

Looks like the clutch rod is laying with the parts. That probally means the throwout bearing assemblie is loose inside the kickstarter side of the transmission.

If you can take some pictures of the inside of the transmission and the transmission lid. (Inside of the lid). Inspect the case for cracks and damage.

I just went through mine about a year ago. So it is pretty fresh in my mind.

This was enough wear on one of the dogs to make my bike constantly pop out of third.

Attachments

• Dogwaresmall.jpg
    Dogwaresmall.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like mostly everthing is there(maybe missing hardware). INCLUDING THE TRANSMISSION (That is a Turtle Top). They are pretty easy to rebuild. The manual steps you through it. What did he say was wrong with it ? Common problem shift forks get bent, clutches or dogs get worn(causing to pop out of gear). The plate in the top of the transmssion that locates the gears gets worn out. If the case is good, it might be cost effective to fix that transmission. It might be a simple problem. Teh transmission is not complicated at all.

DSCN3590.jpg

DSCN3591.jpg

Looks like the clutch rod is laying with the parts. That probally means the throwout bearing assemblie is loose inside the kickstarter side of the transmission.

Not sure if this matters but it does have an electronic start installed

Looks to me like the case is cracked, is that true? That would lead to the need for a new case or even complete tranny. Depending on what your objectives are with this project, there are aftermarket trannies that are made with modern manufacturing processes that might do you well. If you are trying to set the bike back to stock, then that is a different path.

TQ

Looks to me like the case is cracked, is that true? That would lead to the need for a new case or even complete tranny. Depending on what your objectives are with this project, there are aftermarket trannies that are made with modern manufacturing processes that might do you well. If you are trying to set the bike back to stock, then that is a different path.

TQ

Yup a tooth off one of the gears broke off and then cracked the case. Its definitely not gonna be a stock project. First thing ive got to do is get it stripped all th way down after i hear it crank up. Supposed to be putting the oil bag back on tommorow to make sure...

Would this tranny work? If so is it a good deal?

Harley Davidson Shovelhead TRANSMISSION TRANNY LOW MILE : eBay Motors (item 350280446820 end time Apr-16-10 07:50:04 PDT)

Yup a tooth off one of the gears broke off and then cracked the case. Its definitely not gonna be a stock project. First thing ive got to do is get it stripped all th way down after i hear it crank up. Supposed to be putting the oil bag back on tommorow to make sure...

Harley Davidson Shovelhead TRANSMISSION TRANNY LOW MILE : eBay Motors (item 350280446820 end time Apr-16-10 07:50:04 PDT)

No that is for a FLT totally different bike. Not saying it could not be made to work, but a bolt in.

DSCN3590.jpg

DSCN3591.jpg

Not sure if this matters but it does have an electronic start installed

It has both. But it does not matter. Just if your going to trash the transmission, there are parts in there you will need. But a new clutch push rod with the trowout bearings is only about 60 - 80 bucks and probably a good idea.

I might be reading this wrong. But you will not be able to start the bike without the transmission.

This is the one for bike

HARLEY SHOVELHEAD TRANSMISSION : eBay Motors (item 250603578818 end time Apr-03-10 15:32:18 PDT)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back