Don't forget to unlock your handle bars before you take off.

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by JerryL, Mar 20, 2011.

1. JerryL

JerryL Member

One of my bikes is and older model softail that uses a padlock style front wheel lock. I learned the hard way about forgetting to take the padlock off. About 1/2 second after letting out on the clutch, me and the bike were horizontal. No damage other than minor scratches on the crash bar, and ego damage.

2. mat 60

mat 60 Senior Member

Ouch..Glad you didnt end up pined under bike.. I hope you werent leaving the Hd shop.:)

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Yep, and dont forget the disc lock either Bad things happen:p

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you're one that is prone to forgetting, they sell a bright orange tether cord that clips on to the lock and also clips on to the throttle sleeve to remind you.

Kryptonite Disc Lock Reminder

5. JerryL

JerryL Member

No, in my driveway, but you can believe that I did some quick looking around to make sure nobody saw me. :)

Thanks. I think I'll will get one of those. I didn't think I was forgetful, but I did it during a hectic day.

6. JerryL

JerryL Member

You would think after years of owning and riding Harley's, and owning this bike for close to two years, you wouldn't forget something this simple. One thing that got me was that I was needing to go in the direction the wheels were cut, and I didn't find out they were locked until I had already gotten almost all the way off of the clutch, and trying to straighten the bars back up.

7. robermv32

robermv32 Active Member

Back in the dark ages when I had my '75 Superglide. We used to attach our helmet strap ring to the padlock. It was a sure way to remember to unlock the bike before leaving. Still do that today whenever I lock the bike.

8. Jammr

Jammr Active Member

My FXRT had the front padlock deal as well, plus I added a Kryptonite rotor lock on the rear. I used to use one of my wife's "scrunchies" (hair bands) and put it on the throttle to remind me to remove the rotor lock. I called it my 'stupidity preventer'.

9. 2000classic

2000classic Active Member

I was surprised to see someone else with this idea, thought I was the only one!:)

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

It's called a brain flatulence :taunt

The tethers are available at varying prices so check around.

Disc lock reminder cable - Shop sales, stores prices