free website stats program Dog Days | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dog Days

The OP refers to the "transmission primary bearing". So is that the inner primary bearing or the main shaft bearing? Granted, the same special tools are required but in addition to the tools, different parts are required. If the IPB is bad, the parts are the IPB, seal and retaining ring; assuming the IPB race is good and has not moved on the main shaft. However, once the deep into the primary and with 25K miles on the odometer, it would be wise to replace the IPB race, main shaft/fifth gear seal, main shaft bearing seal, shift shaft seal and clutch hub retaining ring. No additional tools required to R/R the IPB race, notch with dremel tool, strike and the race will crack and slide off and rig up a "push" tool with PVC, washers, etc. to push the new race onto the main shaft.

When done, the inner primary is like new; the parts are cheap and most of the labor is in the R/R of the inner primary. Service manual will come in handy.;)

Welcome to the forum from Scotland
heat and cold still work on bearings although the wife shouts at me when she finds bearings in the freezer

Brian

Gordy; The above sizes I mentioned for the clutch hub do not have to be especially deep. 1 3/16" for six speeds. I was thinking of the 2 1/4" pulley nut which does need to be at least 3" deep (I don't know exact, so give a bit extra to be sure). Also it helps to cut the chamfer off the end of the socket so it will fit as flat as possible on the thin pulley nut. It also helps to make/fab some kind of spacer(s) to go over the shaft and inside the socket to keep from wobbling. Sorry for the confusion, the filing system in my mind gets vandalized from time to time.

A "how to" video link is included. Not sure I would make the cut the way this guy did it; easy way to cut your thumb. Perhaps take it to a machine shop where the cut can be safely made with a band saw. A "donut" can be cut from a piece of one of those plastic cutting boards. Or you can just buy the tool.;)

Attachments

• pulley socket.JPG
    pulley socket.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1
Breeze3at,
Thanks for the info. Man what did we do before we had the computers and forums. Oh yea we got our bud down the street for moral support. We all had fun also for sure.

Back