Does your W/S flex when you ride?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by ImaRider, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ImaRider

ImaRider Active Member

I have the HD QD nostalgic W/S on my bike and I have been noticing that it flexes/ripples when I ride. I think it is because of the thinness of the Plexiglas that allows it. Are all the W/S a like in this or are some thicker than others? If someone makes a more sturdy thicker shield I would change mine out.

2. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I've never noticed my Harley windshield flex when riding. I also have a Memphis Shades shield off a Road King and it is quite a bit thicker than the Harley shields.

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I have the large Dyna "convertable" windshield. It's about 2" from my master cylinder, at 65 mph it bends enough to touch my master cylinder. There's a lot of pressure on the windshield, especially the more vertical you run it. I have never noticed it flexing/rippling, just bent back.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. BOBFLHTC

BOBFLHTC Active Member

When I bought my bike used the thin windshield flexed quite a bit and it was scratched. I bought some 3/8 Lexan off Ebay and used the old one as a template. Its a good winter project and no it doesn't flex. I'm into the second generation and a bit more cut down version.

5. ImaRider

ImaRider Active Member

HD does seem to go as thin as possible and I think that is the problem. I see ads for Memphis,clearview, and Cee Bailey's, I need to check them out. I don't want my eye wandering to the W/S when I ride as it does now because of the movement. The less distractions the better.

6. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

Have the Memphis Shades on my Ultra and Sportster.
    No flexing and yes, it is thicker than the stock Harley W/S I took off.
    Thicker also lends to more protection from things thrown up while riding.

7. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member

I've got the stock HD windshield. Just in the upper corners of the w/s, I can tell at highway speed they are moved in a bit. Certainly not wobbly or have any effect on handling, but I can tell it is more curved at the top.
    So to answer your question: Yes: at highway speed I can tell my w/s flexes at top corners.

8. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

I had not really noticed this, I'll pay attention and see if this happens. Have the HD standard with quick release.

After my crash I noticed that the windshield came through with hardley a mark on it, the QR hardware was broken though, all four releases broke where they grab onto the forks, I guess they are not that "quick"...lol!!

9. rydahog

rydahog Active Member

I feel you ...that SARAN WRAP is not good at all.....:laugh j/k

10. Dangerousdan2

Dangerousdan2 Member