free website stats program Does your bike run better in cold weather? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does your bike run better in cold weather?

Rode over a 100 miles last night in low 50's and she ran great. Power comes on quick and does seem so smooth in cooler weather, although the bike runs so smooth anyways. Just seems better in the colder weather. I personally like riding in cooler weather, throwing on the chaps and using those heated grips was pretty nice. Actually any weather under 90 is great.lol

In My Mind: Denser air is just that,,,,The same amount in size and normal mixing the Same amount of fuel but EXPANDING much more when Ignited.

More air volume liking to More compression on the firing stroke....

Placing DRY ICE into an intake air BOX with the filter removed might give you the same BOOST on a HOT day... But that would add a Little CO2 instead of Oxygen.

HMmmmmmm ... wonder if this would of been allowed on the car drag-strip in the old days???
Just My thoughts..

signed....BUBBIE

Essentially the function of the inter-cooler on a turbo or supercharger equipped engine. It cools the air charge, heated by compression, so that now it is dense AND compressed. Dry-ice filled air boxes (not where the engine actually breathes the CO2, that wouldn't work) have been around for awhile although their cost to performance gain makes them really not worth it on a normally aspirated engine. Water/Alcohol injection used to be used on big radial aircraft engines to increase BMEP for takeoff power. I remember having to fill the ADI tanks (anti-detonation injection). The water/alcohol mist increased compression/combustion pressures much like NOX does on modern engines.

I was riding Friday evening and I noticed how well my bike was running. Wondered if it was the cooler weather? I am that temp convinced makes a big difference.

Cooler air is better. So why do they open up the back of the stock air cleaner for better air flow which allows hot air into engine? I never have understood this. Just for the look?
wilks3

Cooler air is better. So why do they open up the back of the stock air cleaner for better air flow which allows hot air into engine? I never have understood this. Just for the look?
wilks3

Funny you mention this the early Evos sucked the hot air from between the cylinders, the air intake snout faced down, imagine that:s

Well...you could always buy a bike that doesn't suck air from between its cylinders...these things are blazin' hot horsepower wise...but they are sure butt-ugly!
tn511s3.jpg

Back