free website stats program Does your bike run better in cold weather? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does your bike run better in cold weather?

Just as all have said:::" bikes run Better in cooler weather... The cold air(more of it when cold) act like a ram charger and actually Raise the compression ratio for the More Power..

Think of the Cold air drawn into the cylinder and then Heated up to combustion= more power..

If you feel the bike is not running rich enough when Hot weather is here A TFI will help with that and even Make More power felt when it is cold out.. MINE DOES..

My 09 FLHR full stage one and TFI.. and is still 96 cu in yet,, but with SE255's cams added for the Future larger 103" when I wear out the 96" a little..

I sure do get a lot of chances for the "More Power feeling by Cool temps." here in western wa. this time of year.. burrrrr
Back to Az. soon I hope..:D

I'll trade all that POWER feeling for the 79*/85* days in Az. this time of year and if I want that COOL Power feeling again, All one has to do is be out when the sun goes down and Burrrrr.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Just as all have said:::" bikes run Better in cooler weather... The cold air(more of it when cold) act like a ram charger and actually Raise the compression ratio for the More Power..

Think of the Cold air drawn into the cylinder and then Heated up to combustion= more power..

If you feel the bike is not running rich enough when Hot weather is here A TFI will help with that and even Make More power felt when it is cold out.. MINE DOES..

My 09 FLHR full stage one and TFI.. and is still 96 cu in yet,, but with SE255's cams added for the Future larger 103" when I wear out the 96" a little..

I sure do get a lot of chances for the "More Power feeling by Cool temps." here in western wa. this time of year.. burrrrr
Back to Az. soon I hope..:D

I'll trade all that POWER feeling for the 79*/85* days in Az. this time of year and if I want that COOL Power feeling again, All one has to do is be out when the sun goes down and Burrrrr.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Amen to hat Bubbie:s

Can't imagine any air cooled engine not liking cooler weather. October to May, best time of the year IMO; this is prime time for my location.

Even my carbureted Sporty likes cool weather the best regarding crisper throttle response...due to the denser A/F mixture. But then the rider has to be up to it also, with the proper layers of clothing...leather wrap (bandana) over the face, leather chaps and vest under heavy leather jacket (thermals underneath if "really" cold), then all the hardware is ready for a cold sortie in the morning.

Denser air makes more power, also colder weather allows less moisture to enter the engine. It is amazing, but my gas mileage actually increased by at least 5 miles to the gallon.

Denser air makes more power, also colder weather allows less moisture to enter the engine. It is amazing, but my gas mileage actually increased by at least 5 miles to the gallon.

That is amazing. I believe in theory your mileage should go down. More dense air requires more fuel. Maybe I'm wrong.

While there is no question that cooler and denser air usually contributes to improved engine performance don't forget that cooler air rushing by your skin at 70 mph contributes to that extra zeal as well.

That is amazing. I believe in theory your mileage should go down. More dense air requires more fuel. Maybe I'm wrong.

In My Mind: Denser air is just that,,,,The same amount in size and normal mixing the Same amount of fuel but EXPANDING much more when Ignited.

More air volume liking to More compression on the firing stroke....

Placing DRY ICE into an intake air BOX with the filter removed might give you the same BOOST on a HOT day... But that would add a Little CO2 instead of Oxygen.

HMmmmmmm ... wonder if this would of been allowed on the car drag-strip in the old days???
Just My thoughts..

signed....BUBBIE

Back