free website stats program Does your bike run better in cold weather? | Harley Davidson Forums

Does your bike run better in cold weather?

JKT1969

I have an 09 SG with 8500miles on it. Last November I put on Monster Ovals (slip ons) and did not do a remap, stage 1, anything at all, left the stock air intake on...I was told a remap is not required if all I did was put on slip ons. But, it seems to me the bike runs lean in hot temps...however, here in Bham, AL the temps are going down, mid-70's as the highs, and it seems the bike likes the lower temps. It sounds better and just seems to run better.

Am I imaging this or is there anything to it?

Thanks....i love this forum by the way.

JKT69

My bike purrs like a kitten when the temps are down to 30 to 40 degrees. The oil temp takes longer to get to normal but still gets to 210. I think it runs better also and seems to have more snap to it.

I would imagine that cooler air is more dense, so the motor is actually getting more oxygen per cubic unit of air that it takes in. You might also be able to hear the sound of the motor / exhaust better since I think sound travels better through cooler / denser air.

I would certainly agree - every bike (Jap / Ducati / Harley ) I have ever owned seemed to run better when it was cool out. I noticed it on Sunday when it was about 60 degrees here in Chicago. Mine was running great.

All Harleys I have owned seem to come alive in colder weather:s

You're not imagining it. Pretty much any normally aspirated engine tends to run better in cooler/denser air.

I have always thought the bike seems to run better in cooler weather... this past Saturday temps in the low 40's bike felt like I was holding it back.. wanted to run like a wild horse!

Agree with everyone. I put on a new V&H V02 intake, switched from Big Sucker, on Friday of last week. I then took the RG out for a nice ride on Saturday morning, but it was about 30 degrees cooler. I'm like, wow, this V02 intake rocks! Then I'm like.... duh... it's the cooler and less humid weather.

Love this weather... this is our riding season for sure in FL. Dry, cooler and less humid.

Ride safe and have fun!

Cool...thanks. Mine is like night & day difference. Hot weather it is pingy and seems pretty lean, now it is throaty and acts like it just wants to cruise all day.

Would it help to do a TFI or something to richen it up in hotter temps?

Adding a TFI or some type of fueler will only make it run even better. I'd also add a free flowing air cleaner into the mix. Then you'll really notice a difference.

Cool...thanks. Mine is like night & day difference. Hot weather it is pingy and seems pretty lean, now it is throaty and acts like it just wants to cruise all day.

Would it help to do a TFI or something to richen it up in hotter temps?

Indeed and help cool it down some too:s

Back