free website stats program Does water get inside Ultra fairing? | Harley Davidson Forums

Does water get inside Ultra fairing?

larryjmiller

Just curious. It's been pretty wet in the mornings lately on my ride into work and the mist drips down the windshield and into the lip on the fairing. My Ultra is fairly new so I haven't had the fairing opened up yet (I like the stock windshield).

Does water get into the inside of the fairing? and if yes, is it a problem?

FYI, although this thing is a behemoth compared to the Road King, you guys were right. The thing rides like a Caddy. Crank up the tunes and hit the open road. It's awesome!

My radio filled up with water once during a very heavy rainstorm. The backlight display won't shut when the ign was turned off and the display was all garbled when turned back on. A few days later the radio dried out and has been working fine for the past year.
kemo

Water almost always finds a way in but I have been hammered in the rain for 8 hours straight and never had an issue with anything not working other than the gauges fogging up.

I did take the advice from the sesoned riders here about using some dielectric grease on electrical connection to prevent any corrosion. I upgraded my headlight to a nice "off road" model bulb from Germean Autoparts. When I took off the fairing to install it, I went over all the connections with a little bit of the grease. (It also makes taking the connections apart much easier, as you would expect.):D

There is quite a gap at the bottom center of the fairing. Some water (mist?) does get in, because I noticed the dust 'tracks' where it has run down. I don't think it's a lot, because I don't hear of much water damage on the forum. I ran some duct tape around the area when I had the outer fairing off.

yes it does and it is very hard to keep it out, If you leave bike out parked in the rain it will seep in there. And yes it will cause problems. get a cover and cover it when parked in rain

Back