free website stats program does the Roadking handle and drive well?? opinion please?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

does the Roadking handle and drive well?? opinion please??

My wife and I are a similar weight class and also moved up from an 883 Sportster. The Road King will be perfect size for the two you, and while it’s no Sportster it has less stuff than an Electraglide so is relatively better handling. However the floorboards will drag in corners much sooner than anything on the Sportster will drag.

I agree the 6-speed is definitely sweet, but a 5-speed will work just fine for highway usage. If you prefer to ride back roads (as I do) you will never notice the difference. The motor speed will be 2500rpm @ 60mph and 3500rpm @ 84mph, no big deal.

I have an 02 RK and have ridden 2 up no problems handling the weight although you will notice an obvious difference riding solo, I added a tour pak and backrest makes the passenger a lot more comftorable, but not cheap, I also think a six speed would be a plus. :rider

before i get to involved with this 2005 Roadking, i wanted feedback from riders that own, or have owned. i weight 245 and wife weighs about 170
415lbs. total, will the roadking handle the weight good??
and how about cornering and highway speeds and such, tell what you know about them please, thanks, i'm going tomorow to make the final look at it before purchase.

MY OPINION AND NOT meant to hurt you!!!!

IF IT WERE ME..........

I WOULD LOOK FOR A 2007 OR NEWER MODEL IN THE "ROAD KING"
It has been mentioned HERE that the 05 had issues........ AND DOESN'T HAVE THE UP-DATES THE NEWER BIKES HAVE...

THIS IN IT'S SELF IS ENOUGH AMMO TO BUY THE NEWER BIKE...07-10

I think you are JUMPING into a BUY just to BUY a BIGGER bike...... take more time,,, this time of year is SLOW no hurry

You may ONLY think about $$$ saved right now BUT the 05 WILL NEED UPGRADES SOON!!!!!!! possible problem of oil consumption from valve guide seals,,, then SPRING SHOES,,, the low volume OIL PUMP on the OLDER TC's under 07 models

YES **all can be repaired**.... BUT you still have a lot to be desired as an 05 model!.... **88 cu. in. 05 if stock. **NEWER 96 cu.in. **OLD could use conversion for oil-pump,hydraulic tenioners,cam support plate.... YES the conversion is there but IT STILL WON"T BE AS GOOD AS THE 96 cu.in. AND say nothing about a 6 speed tranny in 07 n UP**OLD is a 5 speed NEWER is a 6 speed...

CAREFUL HERE..... Even if you think the bike to be PERFECT it has WAY TOO MANY POSSIBLE FAULTS..... I believe the trouble free miles THIS bikes MAY of HAD is BEHIND IT as over 25,000 miles NOW is a lot of miles on the OLD STYLE ENGINE......

a TC MOTOR is a TC MOTOR REGARDLESS WHICH BIKES IT IS IN...
WHETHER IT A 88 CU.IN.(pre 07) OR A 96 CU.IN.(07 an up)

IF YOU watch FOR PRIVATE SALES i would think you may find A NEWER model 07 and up on a ROAD KING to be BETTER THAN THE OLD STYLE 05/06 and before......AND IN A PRICE RANGE YOU COULD AFFORD........

I HAVE HAD MANY BIKES AND CAN AND DO ALL MY REPAIR......BUT

I WOULD NOT BUY THE 05 MODEL EVEN THO I COULD DO ALL THE NECESSARY REPAIR IT NEEDS BEFORE I WOULD RIDE(OWN) IT. (.)

I really hope this BLAW BLAW HELPS and believe me it is HARD to print this type of POST... I feel it is my experience talking...... OTHERS may NOT feel the same,,,,,,, OH WELL.
here goes

signed....BUBBIE

I got the 2005 Roadking Classic, also went with the unlimited 2 year warranty.
made me feel better, i reall enjoy rideing now, feels like a dream and rides like one!!!! love the air ride , and power it hold, the vance pipes sound sweet at 70 mph, soft and look mellow., please opinion welcome.
rightside.jpg

front.jpg

leftside.jpg

overview.jpg

back.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, it’s a beauty! Very nicely accessorized.

“... i reall enjoy rideing now, feels like a dream and rides like one!!!! love the air ride , and power it hold ...” That and the tach, J&M system, trunk box,…I’m sure you and your Mrs. both enjoy this ride!

I’d suggest to go and get the oil and filter for your next change now. You’ll be needing it real soon. :)

Happy and safe riding to you both.

ron1978,

I think you will do fine and dandy with your newest machine. Bear in mind the Roadking is really technically the same as the other touring models...the difference is the cosmetics. I have ridden all the different touring models, and see no difference in the way they ride and handle. I have racked up about 80K miles on three different Roadkings and imho the name says it all.
RoadKING:)
From looking at your images, this is the first time I have seen a King with one of the shaded windshields. I like it! What brand is it and is it also detachable? Please respond.
100thFullside.jpg

I bought this machine new in August of '02. It has 42K miles on it and I have only had a broken throttle cable. This occured three miles from home. I also have painted hard bags, and the King detachable black tourpack. Also a mustang nostalgic touring seat for when my little "Hen" comes along on our longer trips. We do motorcycle camping also. I set my machine up back and forth for whatever my riding notion calls for. This can be done in just a few minutes. I love the versatility and the nostaligia of the Roadking, and you still have the touring frame. Thanks a heap for posting all of your images...

rkw
'03 Roadking
'09 Softail Deluxe
'83 Honda Sabre V-45 (flattens eyeballs)

BUBBIE here.........
I'm CHEWING CROW and EATING IT SOON....

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BIKE and it LOOKS well worth the price you paid for it... JUST IN LOOKS...

MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH for now

HOPE YOU HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THAT BEAUTY......

signed....BUBBIE

Back