free website stats program Does the Order Matter? | Harley Davidson Forums

Does the Order Matter?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
If I'm going to change the motor oil, primary, and transmission all in the same day, is there any advantage or reason to do them in any specific order? Nothing comes to my mind but I've been mistaken once or twice in my life!

Yeah, that's why I specified all in the same day, not all at once. I plan to do each one slowly and all the way to completion before starting on the next one.

It doesn't technically make a difference really, other than the efficiency of doing the work, the way I see it.

I drain all the fluids and do the filter change initially with the bike "leaning" on the stand, where all will drain more completely. While still in that position, I install the engine oil.

I then use the jack to lift and level, adding the chain and tranny lube. They both can be checked for proper level in this position.

Finally, removing the jack, running the engine, "finished" engine oil check with the bike back on the jiffy stand.

Doing the work in that order, saves a lot of wasted motion.

It doesn't technically make a difference really, other than the efficiency of doing the work, the way I see it.

I drain all the fluids and do the filter change initially with the bike "leaning" on the stand, where all will drain more completely. While still in that position, I install the engine oil.

I then use the jack to lift and level, adding the chain and tranny lube. They both can be checked for proper level in this position.

Finally, removing the jack, running the engine, "finished" engine oil check with the bike back on the jiffy stand.

Doing the work in that order, saves a lot of wasted motion.

Ahhh - this is what I was looking for. Thanks. Makes a lot of sense. I'm just not smart enough to think the whole thing through and figure stuff like this out!

I drain all the fluids and remove the oil filter.While they drain I lube/adjust the clutch and throttle cables(N/A on '08 Touring) and check the air filter.The check the tire pressure and belt deflection.Then put 4 ozs. or so oil into the filter and install it by hand a 1/2 turn or so after contact.Reinstall the drain plugs with new o-rings and teflon paste on threads.Then I fill the primary,trans and engine in that order.Then fire up the bike,wait for the oil pressure light to go out and look for leaks.Then it's time for a 5-10 mile test ride.When returning I then check the engine oil.Always check the oil level at operating temp and don't overfill.If the level is in the raised area of the dipstick or between the lines that's OK.I do not fill to the top.It causes the engine to puke into the airbox ruining the filter and making a mess.

Back