free website stats program Does Quick-Release = Stolen? | Harley Davidson Forums

Does Quick-Release = Stolen?

Lucky7

Hey all, I'm relatively new to the HD scene, bought my first last Sunday ('06 Black Denim Street Bob). I've dropped on a passenger pillion and quick release back rest for the wife, also just added a quick-detach windshield.

I can't garage my bike, all I can do is cover it and park it in the carport..
Just made me think how someone could take all of that AND the entire seat in less than 2 minutes..

With all these really convenient quick-release/detach parts has anyone ever had anything stolen? :panic

Never had a helmet or gloves taken? I see riders leave expensive helmets, gloves and even jackets on their bikes and go into a restaurant or store for several hours. I'm too paranoid to do that, but I'm also gettin' tired of haulin' my gear everywhere..

They don't waste the time to detach items here, they take the whole bike. We have had a rash of bikes stolen in various cities around here. One guys RK was parked right in front of his house with the steerling locked. Two o'clock in the afternoon someone stole it.

Leaving the bike unattended always in the same parking space could be dangerous: someone interested in that particular detachable accessory could plan a stealing.

On the other hand, I think that leaving the bike in occasional parkings with the quick-release windshield or similar is safe: you should find someone interested in that accessory for that particular bike passing by in that right moment.
I think it's easier winning the jackpot at the lottery!! :D

Ciao
Ugo

Last edited:
After reading another thread on this subject I purchased the hd lock,only to discover that when installed on the tourpak the lock faces up towards the tourpack and the only way you can unlock it is to put a 90* bend in the key

46106_00_M_16eb8.jpg

After reading another thread on this subject I purchased the hd lock,only to discover that when installed on the tourpak the lock faces up towards the tourpack and the only way you can unlock it is to put a 90* bend in the key

46106_00_M_16eb8.jpg

Had those on my Road King which had detachable tour pack and would switch it out for a rear fender rack depending on what I was doing for the day. These work very well. Strongly suggest them. As for bike theft, well, that a whole other thread.
Ugly John

My Street Bob has detachable saddlebags, windshield, backrest/luggage rack, etc. Never had a problem, but do not leave outside overnight.

BTW, this is a detail of my quick release windshield: never rode without, but since it's getting hot here in Rome, I'll soon give this stuff a try! :)
Ciao
Ugo

Attachments

• Quick release windshield.jpg
    Quick release windshield.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 30
Use quick release windshield, most everything else is "fairly secure" but I have also had helmet stolen off my bike (it was a metric brand "Y" bike). I think that being it is a Harley, the "part time" would be thief is kinda worried about who the owner of the bike is and has less tendency to select HD as a target...but always be prudent as to where you park your bike and how long...

Back