free website stats program Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit?

gman315,
I got the Screamin' Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit (P/N 25284-08, $429.95) from Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories which allows the installation of the late-model hydraulic cam chain tensionsers to get away from the spring loaded tensioners and had my HD Dealership install the kit.

If the word "hydraulic" isn't part of the kit label that you are buying I'm thinking you may be just replacing your old spring loaded tensioners with new spring loaded tensioners. If that's what you want then cool, but many of the folks here (like TQ, above) convinced me to go with the hydraulic upgrade.

I put another 140 miles on today without missing a beat. Everything feels and sounds the same as before the upgrade was done.

Rocket, I want to congratulat you on your choice of kits, after looking at the aftermarket kits that are offered, you're is the only one that comes with the billet cam plate, while the others with the stock Harley plate should work as well for the upgrade the billet plate is a much stronger and is better for any high performance applications down the road. Enjoy

the billet cam plate, .

And it pretty tooo :p

Also one think about the aftermarlet kits they are using the 07 and newer cam plate so you have to change cams no matter what compare to the hd kit.. but you dont need the bearings for the cams vs the hd kit .. so you dont have to have the bearings pressed on to the cams or into plate if you dont have the tools to do it .. and they are pricey if you cane find someone local to do it for you ..

Where as the 07 and later cams and plate you just push the cams in they ride on the plate its self or the oil it says .. weather this is a better design yet is up for question

Yeaaaaaah, maybe I should look into gettin' a transparent nose cone so my way cool and pretty lookin' billet cam plate can be appreciated by all. :laugh

Thanks chopper, but others here clued me in on the Screamin' Eagle kit and I thank them.

Ok, I'm still on the fence as to whether to go Gear vs Chain. Is this more of a personal choice or is there a drawback to the geared cams?

Ok, I'm still on the fence as to whether to go Gear vs Chain. Is this more of a personal choice or is there a drawback to the geared cams?

DRAW BACKS to ME are the CRANK RUN-OUT (.) and on todays bikes seem to be a real problem....

I went gear drive on my 2000 FXDS...
MY crank run-out was .001 if that, measured in frame, at the oil pump in block....

MY bike took to a gear drive JUST FINE using 570SS cams with a lot of OTHER work like heads,valves,bearings... THE MAIN EXTRA BOUGHT things that COST ME $$$$$$ that I felt NEEDED to make this a GREAT, LONG LASTING BUILD, back when i did it, in 2001:

the FUELING oil pump n lifters $450
the DELKRON cam support plate $300.

FOR the conversion TODAY in THE "KIT" 429$,,, you get a NEW high volume Oil Pump and a CAM Plate for LESS than the ones I bought above and GET RID of the SHOES that are a part of the problem reason for converting.....

YOU also get the TENSIONERs changed to the NEWER STYLE the bikes use today IF KEEPING the CHAIN DRIVE SYSTEM....

NOW if YOU use the HD "KIT" or go John HERKO "KIT" (TQuentin1 informed) TQ1 has done this and has a lot of GOOD to see and read on this subject.

I would buy the HD "KIT" TODAY just for the parts needed EVEN IF going to GEAR DRIVES if my crank were in tolerance.....( high volume oil pump and cam plate alone, worth the 429$)

I had very GOOD luck with the gear drives and wouldn't hesitate to do it again in a TC in the 88 cu.in. models (older ones) BUT NOT ON a out of TOLERANCE CRANK regardless.... OR on the 96" bike I have today.... I'll KEEP it chain driven , even if i change out the cams and block bearings (torringtons)

MY crank(2000 FXDS) was as GLIDER PUT IT, a long while back, saying "older TC cranks had fewer problems than todays newer cranks" or close like that??? (see if he is reading this post)..

so yes and no to "is it a personal problem".... I SURE LIKED MY GEAR DRIVES in that OLD 2000 95" 6 spd dyna.

signed....BUBBIE

Back