free website stats program Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does Harley Now Have A Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit?

It's all good Rocket, you're alright, sounds like the service manager you have is a touch arrogant though, especially since most of the real good tech's have went to aftermarket shops because of the way Harley shops pay anymore, reputation keeps keeps the tech's busy, not bad mouthing the competition. My service director paid me a visit last spring and told me "if the customer doesn't complain about the price you're not charging enough", well I thought customers traveling 150 miles to my shop, sometimes passing his store was a sign that saving the customer what you could worked for me, plus all my tech's had bikes on their lifts and were busy. I think you'll be very happy with what you're having done, you're just lucky I wasn't the service manager or you would bought cams too:)

I wrote a post praising the INDY I use just for this reason. But I deleted, I thought it could have taken as an insult to Chopper. I feel better about posting it now.

The guy I use, worked for Harley for years. He has fantastic reputation, and cares about keeping it. Better communication, Plus you know it is either him or his one employee that will be working on your bike. I would take a Good Indy over a unknown dealer anyday. IMHO

Thanks Jonas but never let feeling influence your post one way or the other, and if there's a good shop out there, praise the heck out of them, because there aren't many.
Ride safe

I opened my Cam Chest and inspected mine @40K. The rear shoe was shot and the front at the wear limit. So I decided it was a good winter project while I couldn't ride. Sent away for the disassembly tools (Georges Tool) and went from there. I ordered the Upgrade kit 25284-08 fm Zanottis for $362. You also need the spacer kit 25285-08 14.36. When you read the installation doc. It states replacing the Cam bearings (pressing the old bearings out makes them suspect for future failure) . Another 76.14 for the Cam bearing installation kit 17045-99C. I also opted for the adjustable pushrods 1799-99A 114.60 . It saves pulling the rocker covers, gas tank, and other upper end goodies. Pressing the bearings out of the Cam Support cover is easier than you think. I followed a procedure on Hogs Lair This was a great resource for the laymens common sense approach. The oven and freezer helps a bundle. You do need a service manual for other assembly support for dissassembly and reassemble. And special tools. I did not replace my inner cam bearings. The engine was in great shape for 40K and no stress was applied to them. I pressed the other bearings in using the heating/cooling method and a wood working clamp with very low stress on parts. Assembled all in an afternoon and restarted the engine. Very happy with the results. The Cam bearing Kit has all the needed gaskets even if you pull off the top end. The Cam tensioner Upgrade kit has only the o-rings involved in the cam chest.:)

Welcome to the forum vinhead57, great first post, glad all went easy for you, sounds like you had fun. I sure would not of done the upgrade at 40K without replacing inner cam bearings as well as lifters, but thats me. Am glad to here it's back up and running great. Ride safe.

Hi vinhead57,
I saw the tutorial you're talking about but i wasn't very confident so i ordered the complete set of herko kit and options, and tools, and service manual, and another set of "inch" tools, and ... 2.287,70 USD later (including 30% border taxes + shippment), i'm waiting all the parts to be delivered to start the hydrolic conversion + andrews 21N cams.

I've run a tank full through my Electra Glide with the new tensioner kit in place and so far everything is most excellent. This is a good thread because there is information related to both a Harley Dealership installation and by the more wrench inclined individuals among us.

Like Bud posted, the Harley Screamin' Eagle kit doesn't contain everything needed for the best job. I was first told that the kit contained everything and within an hour of dropping off my bike, was called about the ummmmmm "snowball" stuff like which I wanted; to keep my old pushrods with about an hours extra labor or cutting them and replacing with adjustable ones for $140.00 (I ended up going for the adjustable ones). There were also a spacer, roller bearing/ball bearing and needle bearing that weren't in the kit. Still, Harley honored their estimate and I'm happy with the results, so far. I know there would be greater satisfaction in doing the job, myself, but what I did was follow Clint Eastwood's advice about knowing my wrenching limitations.

I got to talk with the mechanic while he had my bike on his lift and got to hold the old spring loaded tensioner shoes. They weren't worn very much, but there were some pits and I'm glad to be rid of them.

Yeaaaah Chopper, I'm sure you could have talked me into cams, but what can I say? I'm easy.

Congratulations Rocket everything sounds great, you know the best thing about having someone else do the job, it's guaranteed.
Have a great week, easy:)

Hey Rocket,
I am going to replace my tensioners this weekend. I have checked with HD and the "kit" to do this is about $500 to $600. The parts guy told me that you have to buy the gaskets separate from the other parts. He didn't mention a hydrolic kit. I am going by today to get the parts and I'll let you know if it availble.

Back