free website stats program Does a 2009 Ultra need Stage 1? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does a 2009 Ultra need Stage 1?

Mine seems fine without any Stage 1 but then again I'm not in any stop and go traffic. Live in the boonies, ride in the boonies. Guess I'll find out when I go to Idaho, Montana and Oregon this summer but it'll all be open road still.

I decided that I would limit the upgrades in performance with PIPEs Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner/Fiter Kit and the Techlusions TFI 1452ST Model for Touring Bikes and I AM IN 7TH HEAVEN No Heating issues at stop light like my 07
MY.02 Worth
RIDE SAFE
BuffaloBILL
I liked the sound of my '03 Road King; it had a stage 1 air cleaner, and SE pipes, and a RevTec DFO. So on the new Street Glide, I got the same SE pipes, a Ness big sucker stage 1 air breather kit, and a Power Commander V.
The pipes are no longer made, so I had to get a pair from an '04 RK (eBay).
Everything is still on the way, so I will check in later when it's all installed and tweaked.:D:D:D

The older pipes might not work as well with your new ride .. there was something about it i cant remember

I liked the sound of my '03 Road King; it had a stage 1 air cleaner, and SE pipes, and a RevTec DFO. So on the new Street Glide, I got the same SE pipes, a Ness big sucker stage 1 air breather kit, and a Power Commander V.
The pipes are no longer made, so I had to get a pair from an '04 RK (eBay).
Everything is still on the way, so I will check in later when it's all installed and tweaked.:D:D:D

Your 04 was an 88ci,The SE pipes will be too restrictive for the 96

Steve07
Found your comment about 04 SE pipes being too restictive on a 96" bike interesting. I have an 08 EG Classic and am planning to put on a set of 04 SE pipes that I've had around for a few years.
The 04 SE pipes were made by Supertrapp for HD. Supertrapp is selling the same ones and calling them the SE model. I was told by Supertrapp there was no difference between the current ones and the older ones.
Was I mislead?

Steve07
Found your comment about 04 SE pipes being too restictive on a 96" bike interesting. I have an 08 EG Classic and am planning to put on a set of 04 SE pipes that I've had around for a few years.
The 04 SE pipes were made by Supertrapp for HD. Supertrapp is selling the same ones and calling them the SE model. I was told by Supertrapp there was no difference between the current ones and the older ones.
Was I mislead?

Before I bought my pipes I did a lot of research,including finding flow charts for various pipes that I had found used and comparing them to the flow charts on a 96 CI. and bugging Glider a few times, What I found was that some of the casings still had the same fitment,but different baffles to change flow,so when I added up the cost diff. between putting new baffles in old pipes to achieve the flow that I wanted or starting with new pipes.I went with new.:s

Just got my question answered. The 04 HD SE slip-ons were made by Supertrapp and are the same core as is used on the current Supertrapp SE brand slip-ons. Different body because of the logo but the same guts. They are good for the 96 and 88 engine. Same models used on both.
This info from JW at Supertrapp. Speedy reply!

Your 04 was an 88ci,The SE pipes will be too restrictive for the 96
Interesting observation. I installed the '04 pipes yesterday, along with a Power Commander V, and a Ness Big Sucker air cleaner.
I noticed the stock mufflers are about 1/2" larger diameter, two pounds heavier, but the intake end is the same as the '04's. I can see thru the '04's, but not the stock pipes. I had to modify the battery retainer bracket, and the plastic cover that hooks over the battery bracket, to make room to stuff the Power Commander connector. The plastic cover was awkward to remove anyway; I gained about 1/2" more clearance, and made the cover easier to remove. Dynojet recommended starting with map 15-003-002, which I downloaded to the bike. I may have Auburn Harley run it on the dyno to fine tune it, or I may tweak it myself. I have an English made exhaust analyzer that I used on the Road King, but it is difficult to use, and maybe not entirely trustworthy. If I remember right, it shoots for a 14:1 air/fuel mix.
At any rate, I will run the bike later today and post again on the results. :)

Just got my question answered. The 04 HD SE slip-ons were made by Supertrapp and are the same core as is used on the current Supertrapp SE brand slip-ons. Different body because of the logo but the same guts. They are good for the 96 and 88 engine. Same models used on both.
This info from JW at Supertrapp. Speedy reply!
AHA! That explains why my eBay mufflers have the Harley part number (64910-99) stamped on them, but not the Screamin' Eagle markings.

At any rate, I will run the bike later today and post again on the results. :)

Startup in the garage was a real grinner:D That deep,throaty rumble is back; not too loud, not too quiet. Then I took it out on the road. Definite, but not dramatic, low end inprovement. Fourth gear, maybe a little quicker, fifth and sixth, about the same as before. Startup idle rpm is too fast, even when warmed up. I have to be more careful rolling on the throttle in the tight turns; the bike tends to leap forward like a pup let off the leash. I filled the tank to see how the new mapping affects my 42.3mpg. A dyno run has been recommended; run it under load to make a custom map for my bike, but @ almost $300, maybe not worth it? Wadda ya think?? :cheers

Before I bought my pipes I did a lot of research,including finding flow charts for various pipes that I had found used and comparing them to the flow charts on a 96 CI. and bugging Glider a few times, What I found was that some of the casings still had the same fitment,but different baffles to change flow,so when I added up the cost diff. between putting new baffles in old pipes to achieve the flow that I wanted or starting with new pipes.I went with new.:s

This may be getting a little too technical for me, but where can I find info on flow charts? '04 SE pipes vs. 96' stock pipes? It has been suggested the '04 SE pipes might be too restrictive for the 96' engine. I already swapped them out, and there is a definite low end improvement.:50:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been pondering exhaust for some time now. The Supertrapp's were starting to look very good until I read a few post here with several saying they sounded lets say not so good. I liked the idea of a little more sound while boasting more power. I even like the way they look. All they ever talk about though is slip-ons do they not come in True Duels?

Back