free website stats program Docking hardware and Turn signal relocation | Harley Davidson Forums

Docking hardware and Turn signal relocation

cyborg

Has anyone install the Docking hardware and Turn signal relocation on a FXDC?
Or is this something that needs to be done at the dealer? I was going to do mine then I seen “Cut the Wires” and all kinds of warnings went off in my head. I use wire new boats so it not like I’ve never done wiring, just not on a new Harley. Are the wire’s easy to get too?

Has anyone install the Docking hardware and Turn signal relocation on a FXDC?
Or is this something that needs to be done at the dealer? I was going to do mine then I seen “Cut the Wires” and all kinds of warnings went off in my head. I use wire new boats so it not like I’ve never done wiring, just not on a new Harley. Are the wire’s easy to get too?

I did mine. It's not rocket science. I understand your apprehension at "cutting" into a new bike. I felt the same way at first. It's a matter of opening your hand controls, moving the wires and then a little soldering. Keep things small and tidy cause there ain't a lot of room in there.

Go for it.

Consider the upper triple tree for your signals I put mine there instead of the lower triple tree and I like 'em. Mine don't hit the tank. Make sure yours are clear before you commit to a location. Just be sure you use the right on the right and the left on the left. I saw another bike on this forum where the guy reversed them and has the bolts showing to the front. Uuuugh!
signal_relocate.jpg

LOL...cool, wires easy to get too?

A little tight above the rear tire to get my big mitts in there. If you have a jack stand or bike lift you can unweight the rear tire and give you a little more room to work. Otherwise everything you need to get to is in the tail light. You will need to cut and splice the signal wires in there. Keep everything well sealed from tire spray under the fender. Silicone in the tail light wire holes works good for that. Just be careful screwing tight all the signal light pieces. I cracked a chromed plastic cap where the bar attaches to the blinker. In fact you can see it is missing in the photo above. I filled the hole with white silicone until I can get a new cap. 2 years now! heh

Having moved the rear turn signals on my sportster twice also did the wifes sportster and the softail when i connect any wires together i use solderd joints that are coverd with shrinkwrap and so far ive had no problems with water or road debris affecting them

Brian

I saw the same thing about removing the rear brake light and cutting wires, and then i thought, what wold happen if i didnt get it right, and had to go to the dealer. I decided to have the dealer install the relocation, cost about $ 70 but i felt it was worth it. I added the rest of the docking hardware for the sissybar though.

WOW...$70 bucks. Wish i was near your dealer, My local dealer wants $150. That`s why i want to try doing it myself.

Back