free website stats program Dobeck TFI installed....money well spent. | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck TFI installed....money well spent.

Hello, I installed my Dobeck tfi about a week ago and everything seems to be fine with the bike. I have a 2011 ultra classic with a screamin eagle air cleaner, with american custom stock header with the cat removed, and screamin eagle 4 inch cannon slip-on exhaust. I applied the recommended settings from Dobeck for a stage one upgrade but was wondering if anyone with a similar set up tweaked their settings just a little? If so..what did you set them too? I know the tfi adds more fuel and i can smell it as i slow down but the bike runs just fine as is but was just curious if anyone has? And by the way...it's because of this forum that i decided to go with dobeck...thanks. Chris

Set your Pot one: for your bike

at 1800 RPM or Fast idle, Turn pot one from 1, Right to increase up until motor Baucks with too much fuel,,,,,Then turn it Back Down Until it Smooooooths out...Then down just a little more.....(little)....

You can turn it from off(1) up and down several times at that Fast Idle Just to see what it does...Easier setting when you get the feel for it... Very similar to adjusting a carb air screw....

This Pot one Needs to be smooth and NOT over Rich... More fuel or too much will NOT help in performance.

LEAVE other settings like Chris had them set or on the instructions....

You can then run a tank of fuel thru it and check the mileage.... IF you think it is Low on mileage,, Turn pot Two down .5 number less...Check mileage again...

Important the green (pot 1) is set so YOUR motor is running Smooooooth,,, that is the key.:D

Pot 3 and 4 should Not be changed on your bike from the settings suggested.

signed....BUBBIE

I turned up yellow pot a little at a time . Till ping went away when I got on throttle.. I ended up at 4.5 ,,setting..I did this on hot day...engine at full temp..

I turned up yellow pot a little at a time . Till ping went away when I got on throttle.. I ended up at 4.5 ,,setting..I did this on hot day...engine at full temp..

Good Point tyre.....

Both directions May be NEEDED for different applications. if you have Lack of fuel mileage, The Yellow(#2 pot) - to the left and Ping + to the right.

The Yellow Pot on TFI, is like an excellerator pump on a carb. You can benefit by adjusting one way or the other BUT only IF needed...

This is the beauty of the TFI, easy to tune to your bike.:D

Turning them to Just Change them with out reason IS not recommended by me. I don't want to scare the rider away by making the unit Not to work correctly...

I have a friend that changed pot 3 and 4 for NO reason but to TRY.... Came to me crying and said bad things about the product,,, Changing the TFI back to the suggested settiings and then fine tunniing the Green (pot one). Put a smile back on his face.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the info....I'm letting my gas tank empty out to see what mileage i get on the stock settings for now....when i fill up, i'll give your suggestion a try and see what happens. Thanks again for the reply.

Hello bubbie,
I have a question for you....hopefully you get this. I know you said to adjust my green pot at 1800 rpms until it smooths out...like you would a lawn mower engine with a carburator. I understand that but was wondering why at around 1800 rpm's? Secondly, my bike seems to be running fine with dobeck recommended settings with my stage one but might be just a little rich....if that's the case why couldn't i just back the green pot off just a little to make it less rich instead of reving it up to 1800 and adjusting from there? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question...just trying to understand the reasoning behind the whole thing. Thanks, Chris

Hello bubbie,
I have a question for you....hopefully you get this. I know you said to adjust my green pot at 1800 rpms until it smooths out...like you would a lawn mower engine with a carburator. I understand that but was wondering why at around 1800 rpm's? Secondly, my bike seems to be running fine with dobeck recommended settings with my stage one but might be just a little rich....if that's the case why couldn't i just back the green pot off just a little to make it less rich instead of reving it up to 1800 and adjusting from there? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question...just trying to understand the reasoning behind the whole thing. Thanks, Chris

The 1800 or FAST Idle is NOT just for idle adjustment...

The green pot is the Main fuel enhancer, so at FAST idle it doesn't give you the BEST adjustment.

I sent you an answer in return-Email but posted here to tell others.

I like the Fast idle as it does give me the best adjustment and on MY bike that is what I want..

Your call How you do yours.:13:

signed....BUBBIE

Back