free website stats program Dobeck Test Evaluations. | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck Test Evaluations.

glider.

BOT Machine
We have been asked by Dobeck to test and evaluate the TFI and the Gen3 units. They have furnished the units to 4 of the moderators for their testing and evaluations of the units and asked to post the results here in this thread.

For now until we get the results of the installations and the test results we will leave this thread as a "read only" thread. After all the results are in and conclusive, the thread will be opened to posting by the members if they wish to ask questions about the installation or the setup of the units on the different bikes.

Our thanks goes out to Dobeck for allowing us to be a test case for their units.

Thanks very much guys!

Please limit the posts in this section to mainly write ups and questions pertaining to the write ups posted.
Posting in the general Dobeck section is for all other questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
GEN3 EJK Install on a 2008 FLHX

Hey everyone - I was one of the fortunate moderators that was given the opportunity to evaluate the Dobeck products. I'm not an engineer or a scientist so my review won't be as technical as some would like but I sincerely hope it will be helpful. And be forewarned - this is a long post so make sure your coffee mug is full!

I decided to install the GEN3 Electronic Jet Kit on my bike first. I ride a stock, 2008 Street Glide (FLHX.) By stock I mean no modifications at all to the air cleaner, headers, mufflers, or fuel delivery system. My main goals at this time are simply to cool the motor down a bit because of the added fuel and get a slight increase in performance, especially high gear roll on situations like when you have to pass someone on the interstate.

WEBSITE

There are actually 2 websites you can refer to. The main Dobeck site is EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft while the site for the GEN3 EJK is EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes. The Dobeck site is larger and actually has more information. The EJK site is helpful but many parts of it are labeled "Information being gathered. Please contact us for information."

DELIVERY/PACKAGING

The EJK (Electronic Jet Kit) arrived as you would expect in a sturdy cardboard box. Inside, the product was encased in hard, protective plastic. Included were the fuel controller, instructions, quick reference card, zip ties, velcro, and oxygen sensor bypasses.

INSTRUCTIONS

The very first thing I noticed was that everyone who works at Dobeck must be under 30 years old with super human 20/10 vision. All of the instructions fit on the front and back of a single sheet of standard 8 1/2 by 11 paper. But to accomplish this it was necessary to use a small font that had me instantly scrambling for some reading glasses!

A Factory Service Manual is a valuable tool to augment Dobeck's instructions. Step 2 says to "locate fuel injectors on the throttle body." It then goes on to explain where you would find the throttle body, but referring to Figure 4-26 on page 4-22 of the 2008 Touring Service Manual made it abundantly clear what I was looking for. Anytime I'm going to disconnect something from my bike, I want to be 100% certain I've got ahold of the right object!

Finally, nowhere in the instructions does it tell you to disconnect the factory wires to the oxygen sensors and install the included bypasses. I confirmed that this was a correct thing to do with a quick phone call.

INSTALLATION

I am an absolute novice when it comes to using tools around a Harley, but it only took me 2 hours to totally install the EJK system. And I did a lot of extra stuff that others may decide to skip, mainly the total removal of the fuel tank, seat, side covers, and saddlebags. The fuel tank is the big time consumer in this list but I'm glad I took it off. It made it so much easier to access the fuel injector harnesses and I was able to route all the wires through the plastic channel where all the other bike wiring goes. Made for an extremely clean installation.

Other than what's already been mentioned, the instructions were clear and well illustrated. My only suggestion would be to add one more step. After you connect the EJK male to the factory female (which previously was attached to the injector) both of these assemblies hung down under their own weight and dangled much too close to the cylinder heads for my comfort. I was able to zip tie them up higher and out of the way and I would suggest that this should be added to the instructions.

TUNING

The bike started right back up after everything was reassembled. Man, you should have seen me holding my breath - did I mention what a rookie I am?

I wanted to reset everything back for a stock bike since the EJK comes shipped with the settings for a Stage I already in it. It took me a long time to get the hang of using the Mode, +, and - buttons. The instructions mention that the Mode button can be sensitive and they are NOT kidding. I finally used a lighter touch and got it to cycle normally through all the modes and got everything set back to stock.

My plan is to go for a ride tomorrow morning and start to experiment with adding some fuel in the different modes and see how the bike reacts and if I can achieve my goals that I set out earlier in this post.

RESULTS

I started out with the EJK set to the stock settings so my bike would perform as if I had nothing extra installed. I used the exact same stretch of I575 near my home as my "test track" as it gave me two on ramps and several miles of interstate to experiment with the bike's performance. I did numerous aggressive roll-ons from 2000 RPM in second, fourth, and fifth gears and also tried several 50-70 MPH bursts in sixth gear.

After each "test" I would pull over in the shade (it was mid 90's when I was doing this) and adjust the EJK settings up one level at a time. I eventually performed the same roll-on tests with the EJK set at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. In other words, the full range of adjustability offered by this GEN3 EJK.

To be totally honest with you, I did not notice any significant difference in this area of the bike's performance. Maybe a little bit but certainly not enough to justify purchasing this device alone if performance is the main thing you're after. I had a phone conversation with Chris at Dobeck and he agreed that the EJK on a stock bike only gives you a couple more HP and won't give you any kind of "kick in the pants" increase in performance.

Two things I did notice. First, there was a very slight change in the exhaust sound. Emphasis on VERY slight. Again, I would not buy this device just to modify how my bike sounds. This is hopefully obvious to 99.9% of the people reading this! Second, and most important, the bike ran noticeably cooler. As I mentioned, it was in the mid 90's on a nice, hot stretch of interstate highway when I was messing around with all this and the engine heat hitting my legs was much reduced. I also kept an eye on my oil temp and never saw it go above 210 - remarkable on such a hot day with the way I was treating that engine! As a side note, I do not have any type of oil cooler installed.

CONCLUSION

The GEN3 EJK is a high quality, easy to install device. Instructions included were, for the most part, accurate and complete. Telephone tech support from Dobeck was outstanding.

The main thing this EJK does is add enough fuel to cool your stock engine down significantly. If you're looking for a different exhaust sound or increased performance, you'll have to put on some aftermarket pipes. If you're going to do that, you may as well replace the stock air cleaner with a less restrictive one and complete your Stage I on the bike.

I would highly recommend this product for a stock bike or one with mods. The price, simplicity, and outstanding tech support make it a joy to use.

Thanks for hanging in there and reading all this! I'll be happy to respond to any questions when this thread is opened up.

I got my EJK the other day and finally got a chance to install it. Here are some pictures and explanations of whats going on.

First of all the instructions that come with the kit are clear and concise. Installation is a straight forward process which takes only a short amount of time and mechanical ability. Like I said, just follow the instructions.

The first photo shows the seat removed.

The second photo shows the fuse box. Remove the fuel pump fuse.

Third photo shows me disconnecting the fuel line from the gas tank. This is a quick disconnect fitting.

In the fourth and fifth photo I am disconnecting the plugs and vent hoses from the tank.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 149
Part 2

I am disconnecting the tank and removing it. You can install the unit by just raising the rear of the tank up to gain access to the throttle body but I find it is just easier to remove the tank all together.

The first photo is me removing the ECM to gain access to the ground terminal on the battery.

Next photo I am removing the ground wires from the battery.

Third and fourth photos I am removing the 4 torx bolts holding the gas tank on.

The last photo I have the tank removed and the cover off the stock air filter. I am going to install my SE air breather while I have it down.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 118
Part 3

The first three photos are of the removal of the stock air filter assembly.

The fourth photo is all of the stock assembly removed.

In the fifth photo I have unplugged the front injector. The plug has two tabs on the wide sides. Just squeeze the tabs and lift. The plug comes right off.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 141
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 94
Part 4

The first photo shows the EJK plugged into the injector plug I removed from the front injector.

The second photo is the pigtail from the EJK plugged into the injector. The metal clip in the pigtail will be facing toward the head. Depress the wire and slip in on to the injector. Make sure and check your connections. Repeat the process on the rear injector.

Third photo shows both injectors and EJK connected and secured with tie wraps. Leave just a little slack in the wires to prevent binding. Again check all your connections!!

Forth photo shows the SE breather assembly installed.

Last photo shows everything neatly secured to the wire trough and run back to the seat area.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 118
Final post.

This photo shows the EJK secured with the supplied Velcro on my rear fender below my seat.

A couple of things:

Connect the ground from the EJK to the battery and tighten.

Unplug the 02 sensors, on my 2011 they are located under the right side cover, two plugs, a white and a black. Unplug and secure the wires with tie wraps and replace the cover.

That pretty much covers it. I guess it took about as long to post this as it took to complete the installation.

I am running the EJK just as it came out of the box right now and I really like what it has done for the bike. When I get my cat free headers in I will make some adjustments as needed and post them.

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 150
Install and Test Evaluations Dobeck 1250ST

First I would like to thank Randy Lewis, Dallas and the Boss ( Glider) for the opportunity to install and test this product. After watching You tube videos about the Company (DOBECK) and reading the instructions, which were very clear and easy to follow I started the install.

1. I disconnected the battery, negative cable.

2. Removed the seat for access to wires and to locate final mounting for the control box.

3. removed gas tank with the help of the self help section for fuel line disconnect (there is not a lot of wiggle room) and the injector wires are way easier to work on a Dyna with the tank off. You could probably just raise the tank but I wanted a good look at every thing and it made for a neater way to bundle the wires with the tank removed.

4. I used a bit of dielectric grease on the wires(I ride in the rain seems like every other day) here in Florida and I don't like surprises when it comes to my projects, plus if I have to remove the wires I know the connections will be easier to work, this is just my opinion.

5. My battery box is already notched for tender pigtails so the ground was an easy job.

6. Install time should be 60 minutes, I took my time and still was done in that time frame. Nothing overly hard to the install IMO, I did use double back tape to mount the box temporary to the tank console for the tune and test ride. I have Cycle shack turn out exhaust and K N air filter so I used Green setting 3, Yellow 330 Red 330 , all given values are clock time.

Now for the test ride...

I did notice right off the rear cylinder was definitely cooler, running the same amount of miles as the week before I did not notice a change in mileage nor did I expect to, What I did notice was a better idle cant say for sure about power but I think with the ease of adjustment of this product any changes I make to the air intake next will be a breeze to adjust with a screw driver, it reminds me of tuning a carb it is that easy. After the test ride I was happy with my settings, I removed the double back tape and seat and secured the unit under the seat.

Observations...

This is a very good product that does as advertised. It's plug and play and the easy to use instructions are easy to follow.

I recommend it:s

I would like to start by saying Thanks to Speed, Glider and the Moderators for running a top notch forum that Dobecks are sending out Gen3's and TFI's to some members to try out and report back and allowing me to be a part of it. I believe it speaks volumes of the quality and respect Dobecks has of the forum to do this and also give $50 and free shipping off to the members. It also speaks volumes of this forum to forgo advertising or sponsorship money from Dobecks and pass the savings along to the members.

Last but not least a BIG Thanks to Dobecks for the Gen3 and all their help. Dallas arranged the paper work for me to bring it into Canada with no hassles at the border. Being totally ignorant to all things electronic I had to call Dobecks to learn to tune it for a stock bike and Matt had me understanding it in no time.

Installation on my wife's Stock 09 Deluxe Softail:
The instructions were short and simple just as the installation was. As Smitty says, a caveman could do it. I took the tank off although it might not be necessary but I thought it would make things easier with more room. Also took the air filter and backing plate off. Then it was just a matter of unhooking the wires off the injectors and plugging in the Gen3 wires. I did have to file the connectors down a bit on the wires that plug into the bike's wiring harness but it only took a couple of minutes with a smooth metal file. Fished the wires in, tied them up with the supplied zip-ties, put the wire onto the ground post of the battery and that was it!
The battery has a recessed area in the front that looks like it was made for a Gen3. It fits in there nicely and under the ground wires to the frame behind the tank.
I had to shorten the wires for the battery tender and the heated clothing plug but they were long enough to mount the plugs on the light on the front fender.
Put the tank and air filter back on and it was done.

My Test Ride
I don't drive my wife's bike much so I took it for a test drive Before I put the Gen3 on so I could compare the performance. On the ride with the Gen3 installed, I noticed the exhaust tone was deeper, throatier and a wee bit louder. Still not the sound I like but it's not my bike.
I thought the bike's low end torque was pretty doggy on the "before ride" but the Gen3 really fixed that.
The bike pulled much better through all the gears and RPM ranges. I also found the oil temperature was down and noticed the bike ran cooler.

My Wife's Test Ride:
Firstly I should say my wife isn't a performance junkie or a speed freak. The only time she'll twist the wick is when I'm beside her and tell her to do so. But she did notice the improved performance almost immediately.
She likes the way her bike pulls away from a stop sign or red light, much easier she said. When she cracked the throttle at 60 mph in 5th gear she thought the front wheel was going to come off the ground.
She really likes the look of the stock exhaust and likes it quiet but she does like the deeper sound. She hasn't noticed the cooler engine but I'm sure she will in time.
Her bike always has pulled strong and would beat my 09 Heritage with a Stage 1, a TTS and tuned on a dyno. When I changed the sprocket on the clutch drum to gear the bike down about 15% I could beat her. Now with the Gen3 installed on her bike she beats me.

Mileage:
We went for a 300 mile ride yesterday and checked the mileage. She used to get 1 mpg less than I did but yesterday she got 2 mpg better than I did.
Her mileage was 44.5 and we were riding between 65-70 MPH all afternoon. It actually went up 3 mpg with the Gen 3 installed.

Last Thoughts:
I checked the price of a Stage-1 download at Harley, they wanted $200. With the HDT member discount and free shipping that's the same price as a Gen3. I wouldn't waste my money with the Harley download and just go for the Gen3.
The folks at Dobecks have been excellent to work with. The people I've talked to have been very helpful, courteous and certainly know their stuff. All in all I think they have a great product and I would highly recommend the Gen3.

Thank-You, Geezer

I would just like to add a few words about the Gen 3 that I installed on my wife's totally stock Deluxe softail. We just got back from Sturgis and the Black Hills of South Dakota putting on over 2200 miles. My wife mentioned 1 day that I must have changed the gearing or RPM when I installed the Gen 3 because she was using 6th gear all the time now. Before the Gen 3 she was running in 5th most of the time. The Gen 3 gave her bike the power to pull in 6th at lower speeds where she couldn't before the install. She was also getting 4-5 mpg better mileage consistently and the bike is running cooler. She's really happy I talked her into putting on the Gen 3.

Back