free website stats program Dobeck or no Dobeck? | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck or no Dobeck?

Cruisermy637

I have a 2009 FatBob with Cycle Shack slipons and plan on doing a stage 1 air cleaner upgrade this spring. Some guys say I don't need fuel management upgrade(waste of $) but I tend to think, after some research, that I would be making a lean situation leaner. Pretty much decided on a Dobeck 3 or 3.5 for ease of install and price. Opinions and feedback from you guys who have the same setup would be greatly appreciated.

If you do both changes you will need more fuel, Dobeck is a great choice, I had a gen 3 on my Streetbob with cycle shacks and stage1 air cleaner Check the self help section under fuel injection for a discount
Harley Davidson Forums
Here is the link

You are correct, Harley's tend to run lean from the factory so any upgrades such as adding more air will lean it out even more. If you're leaning towards a Dobeck fuel system, give them a call and they'll bench tune it for your application.

The Gen 3 I put on my wife's bike works great. The bike pulls stronger, runs cooler and actually gained 4 mpg. Her bike is totally stock, no pipes or air filter.

Lean from factory. Addition of pipes and air cleaner more lean. Fueler is needed to properly adjust so that bike runs at peak performance or even with out adding fueler you have wasted a lot of $$$$ on pipes and filter. You will end up with nothing more than a noisy, bad running Harley that you will not approve of.

I'll play devil's advocate and throw out another option for you. Yes, you are absolutely correct that your mods will make your bike run leaner. Yes, the tuner of your choice will adjust fuel and eliminate the too lean condition. You also have the option of having a dealer do the Stage I download after you do your air filter and your bike will be reset to the air/fuel ratio it had when new. Still a bit lean as all new Harleys are due to EPA regulations but if you're OK with resetting your bike to the way it was when stock, it's a lot simpler and cheaper to do the download and be done with it.

Gen3 on mine with stage 1 set up & Andrew's 21's. Thought I needed the 3.5 but after talking to them, went with the gen3. The gen3 can be taken out of the equation by just disconnecting the negative lead which I liked in case it went south.
It's a good deal with the forum discount here and the folks at Dobeck were good to deal with.

gen 3 on my 13 softail with big air and se slipons with big city thunder baffles. Am adding cams this spring and dobeck assured me the tuner will be able to handle it. When I added the tuner, I noticed immediate improvement in power.

Cruiser
I have an 08 Rocker and after I added V&H slip ons and a Big Sucker air system I had lots of decal popping [even with XIEDs] installed.I removed the XIEDs and installed a Dobeck 3 that they bench set for my system and all decal popping is gone and bike runs great.
Colt.45

Back