free website stats program Do you warm it up? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you warm it up?

I let my bikes warm up while i get my gear on then a gentle ride into town about a mile once i pull away from the junction the choke control gets pushed fully in then through the town about 1/2 mile then i feel its good to go

Brian

Since mine is carbureted, I do basically what Brian does...never feel in a hurry to get it on...until at least 5 minutes of gentle riding before turning up the "wick"! :D

Useually let it warm up while I'm waiting for the wife to get her stuff on. By that time she's ready for anything.

I always let any motor idle for a minute or so before taking off on it. It's just my way of letting all of the systems (lube, fuel, and cooling in a car) get up to full flows and volumes, and pressures stabilize before I go charging up the road. It's not really a "warm-up" period, it's just long enough to make sure everything's happy in the motor. I also let it idle fora few seconds before shutdown, again just to let everything stabilize before I shut-down.

My daily morning routine @ 4:40am is start the engine, do a safety walk around and check all lights. Jump on and ride her easy for 1/2 mile to 55mph zone. By then I'm ready to turn the heat on. If I've been riding most of day I mainly just let it idle for 30 seconds then go as normal. Nothing like fuel injection. :)

C'mon guys,everyone knows bikes are like women.If you don't warm 'em up a bit before a ride you're going to end up walking for a while.Probably with a limp.:D

I always let any motor idle for a minute or so before taking off on it. It's just my way of letting all of the systems (lube, fuel, and cooling in a car) get up to full flows and volumes, and pressures stabilize before I go charging up the road. It's not really a "warm-up" period, it's just long enough to make sure everything's happy in the motor. I also let it idle fora few seconds before shutdown, again just to let everything stabilize before I shut-down.

Same procedure I follow.

I always let mine idle for a few minutes while I get my gear on. You know how sweet they sound sitting there all pretty and everything.

Those who just fire it up and twist the wick will find that they develop leaks eventually at the mating surfaces due to the different heat characteristics of the base metals.

Gotta agree 100% with this one. Likewise, I do a warm up for just the reason above and I'll keep it at a reasonable speed for a few Ks before i open her up and ride at highway speeds. I like to give things a bit of time for the temp to even out across the driveline

Neil

I usually try to like it run for about 1 minute before I leave the house. A mechanic once told me he loved those guys that revd up the motor at startup. Said they would be in the shop sooner than most.

Back