free website stats program Do you warm it up? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you warm it up?

heartshot

Account Removed
Just wondering your opinions on engine warm up. I usually start mine up.... ease down the road for the first few miles ....then "Let Er Rip".....how about you?

In the summer i usually just fire it up and take off. In the winter i'll let her warm up for 5 min and then ride.

I have always been for alittle warm up before I take off....Gets the oil warm and moving around before I twist on it. Just habit if for no other reason.

You probably will get a bunch of opinions on this one. EVO and Twin Cam cylinders are torgued to the dye cast engine cases to retain their cylinder shape. The pistons are another thing as when cold they are barrel shaped and when they reach operating temperature they then match the cylinders. The rings never seat and hopefully never will. Seating a piston is wearing it into matching the cylinder. That is no longer needed. I have 105K on my EVO and have always let it warm up for about five minutes before moving. The old cast iron barrel engines took longer but now the alloy cylinders warm up pretty quickly. Today's modern oils cling to parts much better so there are no longer "dry" starts. There are some folks on here who can give you more info than I can. Fossil

I start the bike then put my gear on while it's warming up. When the rocker covers are warm to the touch I ride gently for a few minutes till it's fairly warmed up.

Just habit..

I first wheel her out to the street and start her up. I leave at 5:30am so the warm up period isn't to long. I'll let her idle for about 3 minutes or until I think the neighbors have had enough, and then ease on down the road. I have always believed that an oil engine should idle a few minutes to get the oil flowing before putting her in high gear. I even let my lawn mower run a minute before putting it in drive.

I first wheel her out to the street and start her up. I leave at 5:30am so the warm up period isn't to long. I'll let her idle for about 3 minutes or until I think the neighbors have had enough, and then ease on down the road. I have always believed that an oil engine should idle a few minutes to get the oil flowing before putting her in high gear. I even let my lawn mower run a minute before putting it in drive.

Ahhh, Dude!...You got "drive" on yer lawn mower!!!!:worthy
All I've got is a handle on mine. :cry and a big dummy standing behind it!!:wall

BUT....I do try and give all my engines a little "warm-up" before I move out. Just to allow for oil circulation, and a little increase in temperature. I think it's good practice, especially in cold climates.

Those who just fire it up and twist the wick will find that they develop leaks eventually at the mating surfaces due to the different heat characteristics of the base metals.

Seeing as mine is a 05 and has a carb on it, yes, it needs to sit and idle for a minute or two. Like already said, put the gear on while she's warming up and let it clear its throat!

Back