free website stats program Do you really need Tuner / Download? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you really need Tuner / Download?

wrightj123

I am ordering a new 09 Street Glide. I am adding the Screamin Eagle heavy breather and Rush slip-ons.

One dealer told me I need to get the tuner, download, dymo, and labor. $$$

Another dealer says I don't need to do that on an 09 so they quoted me parts and minimal labor only.

Does anyone know the truth?

you will need some kind of fuel tuner and or download.. I cant see how you wouldnt as better flow ='s leaner maybe they changed the way the closed loop works on the 09 ..

All I know is what I read here and it goes along with what my Dealer told me. That if you do the air filter and the exhaust the engine will run leaner and hotter. I did all of it on mine and the engine runs smoother and cooler.
But, my dealer warned me that he has seen water get into engines occasionally from riding in heavy rain with the Heavy Breather.

I am ordering a new 09 Street Glide. I am adding the Screamin Eagle heavy breather and Rush slip-ons.

Another dealer says I don't need to do that on an 09 so they quoted me parts and minimal labor only.

You could speak to 5 different dealers and come up with 5 different views.

Here's another one and I don't sell anything either. There's something called adaptive fuel built into these bikes that will richen the mix to a certain degree. Once you install slip ons and intake that system is stretched to the max to keep it EPA compliant.

If you are a street rider and looking for another 10-12 HP and some extra TQ without all the added expense and dyno time, get a TFI and a stage 1 with a pair of slipons and enjoy the bike. It will run cooler, better and faster without all the extra expense of the tuner from the dealer and the dyno time. The mods you can definately do yourself if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

If you're looking for absolute perfection as far as tuning, then get the tuner from the dealer and dyno the bike and keep your fingers crossed the dyno guy knows what he's doing and doesn't give you a canned map and call it a custom map for a few more hundred $$$

Thank you all for the info.

I will follow up the dealer with the best deal to see what options there are for TFI and a stage 1. I think my dealer is the dealer smitty901 trusts so I feel comfortable.

I know your question has been answered, but I look at it like this. Would your do a stage 1 on a carbed bike without jetting and adjusting the carb.?

Hobbit you are so rite,I run this breather in heavy rain also, And its nice to see someone who knows about real turbo charging, not some plumbers bolt on kit.

ive done some testing in the past on changing exhaust and air filter logging data under load .on my 07 SG and 08 vrod , stock avrage was 14.5 with slipons 14.7 , opened up a set of super trapps 14.9 , this to me is to lean for the way I ride. just thought Id pass these numbers on.

Back