free website stats program Do you practice emergency procedures? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you practice emergency procedures?

Do you practice emergency stop and avoidance procedures?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@RichardS

I think that was a very good summary. All important things all of us should keep in mind - and more importantly practice.

To second your number one - if you have never taken a safety course, it's well worth the time. If you don't want to be in with the newbies in the BRC, take the ERC. You get to ride your own bike, it's usually a one day affair, and you do some more fun things.

years...many years ago, a driver ed teacher i had talked about escape routes. He made us talk out loud about what we see..all the hazzards and what ifs. I practice that today. Next time you ride start talking outloud about all the possible situations you see...its interesting...

I even practiced picking my bike up yesterday off of the engine guard at the HD Dealer in Frederick.
I rode down there and parked in front of the shop. When I left I had to make a real tight left turn from a dead stop. I always put my feet up imeadiatley when I take off, that was all good until the bike had a hic up when I rolled the throttle a little, it didn't stall out but it bucked and hesitated and dropped on to the left side.
I hadn't gone 3 feet so it was very quick but not earth shattering, I side stepped off of the bike picked it up quickly and rode away it never quit running. Does it seem like stuff like that only happens when lot's of Harley people are around! "Ha Ha" OH Well! Merry Christmas to everyone.

Speaking of a skills to practice: How did you pick it up?
I am 6'4/235 and while the adrenaline of dropping your bike and righting it before anyone notices can help, it is a significant lift.

Like Smitty stated, no one laughs when they see you pick it up. But I observed a method that wasn't intuitive to me and tried it and it was much easier on me if I had no one to help. Squat down with your back against the tank/seat and grab the handle bar in one hand and the shock/lower frame with the other and stand up. You use your legs and save your back because you are not bending forward. It takes a little balance to turn around, once the bike is upright. Not such a big deal on a sportster but the touring bikes make a difference.

I had some friends help me lay my UC down in the grass next to my driveway on some carpet and padding to try lifting and righting a downed bike. This was the easiest to me and I am glad I practiced it. Can't ride with a hurting back...:s

@Porter:

That's the technique the guys from the Harley dealership were demonstrating in Daytona that I mentioned. They had the smaller gals lifting the Ultras like that.

I'm with you though, I'm 6'4 and nearly 300 pounds and I don't like the idea of lifting a tour bike up - irregardless of the technique. :p

Richard and Porter covered two topics that generally not practiced as often, should be at least "explored" just once maybe annually (or the other being the retentative and analytical person I am) just because the test day will come, and better it be under controlled conditions. :s

Pillion partner practice idea works, I usually use the high center of gravity, laden' bike approach. Pack the bike as if you were going on a weeklong trip...but in addition, put heavy items in your top box (don't exceed 25-30 lbs though) high up (that you should normally not do), but plenty good enough for practicing...true, the pillion partner usually is not so still, but you get more confidence this way anyway, so when they do waver, you can at least recognize the difference (biggest thing I had to do was have her not wave her hands or swivel her head when cornering, and trying to debark before coming to a complete stop eh...garage sales).:D

Picking up the bike is trickier, but do include frame sliders or engine guards before doing this excercise to keep the contact areas to replaceable bits. Cause you never know when you will be doing this impromptu bit of rider procedure, best not practiced nearly as often as we care to admit. :small3d029:

Last edited:
I took the basic riders course when i got my softail. there was a lot of great info on it and I plan on taking the advanced rider course in the spring. I don't let her know it. I practice emergancy stopping and such with the wife on back, but I don't let her know when I am going to do it so I can see how she reacts to it. I only do it on a road or place where there is no traffic. I figure that I am not going to have time to yell everytime if something happens.

Especially in Washington State, the cars seem to aim for you. I actually have people trying to run me over after I pass them when they are going slow! It must be a Washington driver issue, they just seem to hate bikers here. I need to carry a 12 gauge and maybe that would solve the problem...

You got that right! I've often thought of keeping a bag of 1/2" ball bearings on the bike for when I get in front of them, a little toss over my head... That's only a thought to make me feel better. I actually had a guy run me off the street because they couldn't stand seeing the extra room on the road go to waste. I was able to get a leg out there and kick his car. Probably not so smart but it all happened pretty fast and I just reacted.

Best not to retaliate...even if it is a singular incident, it reflects on us all. Besides, just a simple gesture showing the error of their ways is sufficient, lest road rage be the result...being a biker I know well eough not to carry a knife to a gunfight...and 600-800 lbs of motorcycle pales in the shadow of a 2500 lb cage!!!:swoon

I took advantage of being a HOG member. You can take the advanced riders class and get a $50 refund certificate from HD. The class was pretty exhausting as we had to be there early and the class is about 75 miles from where I live.

Our local HOG club also has regular unadvertised practices several times a year. We practice all of the things you learn at the MSF class on your bike. This last time several of the members brought their two up rider and did the practice with them on their bikes.

Whenever I ride, I always practice what we cover in class. Braking, using both front and rear is important as you need to "scrub off" as much speed as you can in an emergency.

The toughest thing for me is the slow parking lot figure 8 maneuver although I am getting better and I had to use it for a slow "U" turn on a country road with drop offs at both shoulders.

Back