free website stats program Do you practice emergency procedures? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you practice emergency procedures?

Do you practice emergency stop and avoidance procedures?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On weekends when the GO parking lot is clear. Watching the ‘Ride like a Pro’ before practice and spacing out cones is very helpful. Dedicated practice sessions are still solo but having watched the video with the Mrs helps her understand my antics when we happen upon a quiet/deserted street and I can’t resist a little adhoc practice, 2-up. It’s great having a wife with a genuine interest in things mechanical such as motorcycles. :)

I try to parctice emergency stops and object avoidance at least twice a year. I think one should be completly aware of his/her machines capabilitys and how it feels and handles before and emergency occurs. After practicing straight, hard, fast stops at various speeds then I practice the same while moving to the left and right of a obstacle. I use a road cone for this. I go to the high school and use there parking lot and take a friend with just in case. For me it is fun and good practice!

I even practiced picking my bike up yesterday off of the engine guard at the HD Dealer in Frederick.
I rode down there and parked in front of the shop. When I left I had to make a real tight left turn from a dead stop. I always put my feet up imeadiatley when I take off, that was all good until the bike had a hic up when I rolled the throttle a little, it didn't stall out but it bucked and hesitated and dropped on to the left side.
I hadn't gone 3 feet so it was very quick but not earth shattering, I side stepped off of the bike picked it up quickly and rode away it never quit running. Does it seem like stuff like that only happens when lot's of Harley people are around! "Ha Ha" OH Well! Merry Christmas to everyone.

@cowboywildbill

Ouch! Glad you were alright. That's the important part.

Yes, it does always seem to happen just at the most embarrassing time.

I dropped mine while trying to do the iron cross in front of the local police motorcycle corp (they all ride Harleys). Of course this was after saying that it didn't look THAT hard.

Last year at Daytona during Biketoberfest I saw one of the Harley dealers doing a "how to pick up your dresser" demonstration / class for people out in a parking lot. I'll tell you what, if you've ever had to dead lift one of them you'd appreciate the tips and tricks.

The best part was seeing the smaller gals with their backs to the seat pressing up with their legs. The look on their faces when they stood the bike back up were priceless (and the looks on the boyfriends / husbands faces who couldn't believe they did it were even better).

Yep it was embarrasing. I hadn't hardly moved and was doing a floorboard scraping turn,so it was gentle. The momentary loss of power did me in.
I was just about down on the guard when I started the turn, so it only had to go a few more inches to settle. It was really cold, as good as the fuel injection is, it still cough's once in a while. Next time I'll be a little more conservitive in my tight turns from a stop. "Ha Ha"

Sad to say I don't do it often enough. Minimum once a year, usually during that first ride of the season when I'm checking the bike over.

haven't practiced awhole lot but had to use quite a few for real so thought that pretty much took care of the need for practicing.

Im always looking for escape routes riding here in Florida with all the blue hairs LOL seriously we have to hone our skills every time we ride

I made a habit out of looking for escape routes long ago but still need to keep the awareness factor hightened so as to not be caught off guard. At night it is particularly more important keep your distance since you can't see those routes.

I made a habit out of looking for escape routes long ago but still need to keep the awareness factor hightened so as to not be caught off guard. At night it is particularly more important keep your distance since you can't see those routes.

Especially in Washington State, the cars seem to aim for you. I actually have people trying to run me over after I pass them when they are going slow! It must be a Washington driver issue, they just seem to hate bikers here. I need to carry a 12 gauge and maybe that would solve the problem...

Back