free website stats program Do you practice emergency procedures? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you practice emergency procedures?

Do you practice emergency stop and avoidance procedures?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do this at least once a month, or more if I am anticipating riding two up or long trips. Usually in an empty lot nearby on Sundays (less cars and pedestrian traffic).

Yep,

Every couple of rides I'll go somewhere out of town where the there are few cars around, find myself a parking lot and practice emergency stops, low speed riding, avoidance swerves etc..

Helps me a lot to feel comfortable with the bike, and know what I can do (and what I cant!).

Next year the advanced training course is on the menu (again).

Take care,

I try to head up to the empty school parking lot for 10 or 15 minutes every month or so. Probably should do it more often but I don't. I start by practicing straight ahead emergency stops at slowly increasing speeds up to about 30MPH or so - pretty much all I can get up to in the lot where I practice. Then I work on "ride like a pro" stuff - minimum radius left and right hand turns and figure eights.

It's amazing but I always feel a little more confident and in control of my bike after one of these sessions, even if it's only five minutes.

I don't want to hijack the thread/poll but I'd love to know how many folks practice this same type of stuff with a passenger along. I keep meaning to bribe my wife into riding up to the school with me so I can get better at riding with her on the back.

I just started the "two up" sessions with my wife on the back. Very different than solo especially with a panic stop. And for some reaon I have a more difficult time turning left in a tight turn at slow speed with her on the back.

I agree that I usually feel more "one with the road" after a few minutes of practice....

I head over to the dealer's Riders Edge range at least once a month. Practice the turns, u-turns, figure eights, etc. Also try the emergency braking setup and the slow race section. I try to alternate between the Dyna and the Ultra since they handle differently.

I have the cone weave circles painted on our asphalt lane and a box also. I practice about every two weeks comming and going to our farm. I also practice high speed panic manuvers where it is safe to do so about once a month. And I am alway's looking for a way out of a situation when riding, especially in cager traffic.

I practice figure 8 right and left in my hospital carpark (handy in case I fall over :lolrolling). I can do some lower speed emergency stopping there as well - up to about 30mph. I commute through heavy urban and motorway traffic regularly with a lot of very slow speed riding and filtering so I get way more practice at that game than is actually pleasurable. Amazing how rusty you get even between these little practice sessions. Have only just got my better half onto the pillion so I haven't ever tried practicing 2-up although it makes as much if not more sense than practicing solo.

These manuvers are perishable skills that when not used, we will lose. And we can't afford not to be sharp, it's not if something will happen but when.
And staying up on these skills so that they more of a reflex than something we have to think about could save your life.
I think this is a great post and poll question.

Yes, seems like whenever I ride with a large group. :newsmile107:

I went on a tour at Americade last year and before we even left the staging area the bike in front of me almost dumped it. That's why I prefer to ride alone or with a few buddies that I am comfortable with.:newsmile090:

Truthfully, I practice braking, lane changes etc a few times each year. At my age it helps to refresh the skills needed to get through a tight spot. Especially with all the distracted drivers out there (I didn't use the term I do when I yell at them) :bigsmiley33:

I usually practice in an empty parking lot once a month, slow speed maneuvers and braking to make sure my bike is functioning correctly with no strange noises or other handling issues.
I also ride dirt bikes and that really seems to help the reflexes on the street. I have used dirt bike methods on the street without even thinking about it to avoid getting hit by cars. Like having to ride the shoulder and ride over surprise debris on the road. Riding a dirt bike is great training for survival on the street.

Every couple of weeks, when there's no snow, I practice circles and eights at a local parking lot. I probably should do more emergency stop practice but I do feel like I get a lot of it just riding in traffic.

Back