free website stats program Do you lock..... | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you lock.....

I lock the forks and ignition more often now than usual. Bags are always locked, parked or riding. Have the factory security but not the siren. Bike is insured but still a $1K deductible. Just helping the opportunist stay out of trouble. Probably something from the Sunday school years; Trust your neighbor but tie your camel.

When I'm away from home, my fob is always in my pocket so just walking away disables the ignition and arms the alarm. Usually lock the bags if I am away from the bike - no sense giving some kid something to snoop in. Will lock the forks if I am away from the bike or if it is parked for the night.

At home, in my garage, the fob is in the house - live in the country and less worried about theft than if I were in town.

I guess I am lucky in the 40+ years of riding I usually Never locked my bikes Reason why I tend to misplace my keys

BuffaloBILL

In response to your question, the answer is yes. The bike runs just fine until you turn it off. Then it won't start. Even worse, the lights will flash. Worse still, if you have the audible alarm installed it goes off and embarrasses you in front of all your friends. Been there, done this. Now I make a point to always, always, always put the fob in my pocket before starting the bike.

Jim B; Thank You, that would be my worst fear. "yes it's my bike, no I can't start it or shut the alarm off because I don't have the key".:D
I have the procedure and code in my wallet to overide the fob, BUT it took me 2 days to reset the code from the factory default because I didn't know that the bike had to be standing straight up to accept changes, and I kept trying it on the sidestand. Plus my wife kept saying something while I was tapping the sequence out on the signal buttons and I had to start over.:small3d015:

Jim B; Thank You, that would be my worst fear. "yes it's my bike, no I can't start it or shut the alarm off because I don't have the key".:D
I have the procedure and code in my wallet to overide the fob, BUT it took me 2 days to reset the code from the factory default because I didn't know that the bike had to be standing straight up to accept changes, and I kept trying it on the sidestand. Plus my wife kept saying something while I was tapping the sequence out on the signal buttons and I had to start over.:small3d015:

I had it happen to me while I was at the monthly meeting of my riding club. Talk about embarrassing. Fortunately, I was only 2 miles from home. I was going to call my wife to bring me the fob but one of my buddies offered his bike so I could ride home and get it. Got a lot of ribbing when I got back with the fob but everyone was nice enough to forget about it. I've been "oh so careful" ever since.

pull it in the garage park it key in storage compartment.Lock it up if i leave on vacation. Theives would meet the dog first!

Jim B.; Since reading your embarrasing account of leaving the fob home, I have made an additional copy of the overide instructions, and put them in an accessable but not obvious place on the bike. JUST in case I leave my wallet home with the fob!

I lock both the forks and ignition everywhere, even at home in my garage. I also have a Scorpio alarm that sets itself whenever I am away from the bike. I probably don't need to in the area I live but I just think it would be foolish not to.

I don't think it matters what you do if someone wants your stuff - somebody stole the bungee cords and pressure gage from me while the bike was armed. I lock it when I'm not familiar with the area - otherwise I just arm the security system. I'd be surprised if it were ever stolen, but I don't get out as much as I used to.

Back