free website stats program Do you lift your toe or foot? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you lift your toe or foot?

NEWHD74FAN said:
One way is to also learn to "counter lean" or "hang off" the center line of the bike slightly...that is the conscious riding style racers used to compensate for low ground clearance or ill handling bike.

I have to disagree with this statement. The term "counter lean" implies leaning opposite of the turn. I think you mean counter pressure on the outside peg. But this is not always the case. When I've got the puck on the ground, my inside foot is also used to control the lean angle. The type of lean used by racers has been called many different things. But, it is NOT used to correct an ill handling bike. A bad setup is just that, a bad setup.

The technique is used to keep the bike's tires in correct contact patch. A racer leans to allow the bike it be more "upright" in the corner. Upright being a relative term. In the apex of the corner you displace your weight to help the bike turn and to keep the best contact patch. The more you lean the tighter the bike is able to turn while maintaining a contact patch.

If you watch a racer, you will also see them leaning off the bike as they exit a corner, the bike is straight up, the rider is leaning off. This allows you to get the bike on the center of the tires and apply the power quicker. You can get more power to the ground with the bike straight then when it's leaned over in a corner.

Trust me, you don't want to lean, hang off, get deep (or what ever phrase you would like to use) when a bike is not handling well. This can cause anything from a front-end tuck to a nasty highside get-off and I've experienced both.

It can be used to compensate for low ground clearance. But leaning is more about contact patch and getting thru a corner at maximum speed. Ground clearance is not usually a problem on a race bike. But it is with most Harleys. And yes, I do lean off my Road King. Looks kinda funny and you really can't press the footboards like you can with rear-sets. But I still use the technique to hustle thru the corners. And I like rubbing hardparts on the tarmac. And I ALWAYS know when it's going to happen. No surprises here.

Not saying to ride totally this way, but you can compensate for low ground clearance by using a bit better rider techniques, ride comfortably within your skill set without trying to be a "hero on a race track" can improve how we handle what we call day to day routine.

Here's the "but" that goes along with this. Sure, so you can do a little hanging off. But don't you think folks should have the skill set to perform emergency avoidance and stopping techniques before they start leaning off their bikes?

I know, I know. Sleddog on the soapbox again. Here we are talking about advanced rider techniques and yet 99% of the time emergency or avoidance techniques are never practiced. We don't talk about it, so therefore we don't pratice it. Most of the time we're more interested in looking cool and being part of the pack. It's the "well, the other folks I ride with don't pratice this stuff so neither will I because nothing is going to happen to me" attitude

Maybe someone can put up a poll and we can see just how mnay members practice this stuff and when was the last time they did. The folks I ride with usually want to hit a paking lot to pratice at least once a month. We turn it into a tailgate party. Kinda like our own advanced riders course competition.

It seems that once folks get on the road, they have a "bubble of fearlessness", idea that it won't happen to them. That there is no reason to practice that stuff because they did in a the riders course and know how to use it.

Your heart should NOT be skipping a beat while riding. To me that means you were unprepared for the riding situation.

To paraphrase a statement from my military past. "You train like you ride, and ride like you train."

Sleddog is now off the soapbox.... Thanks for listening.

Hey Hobbit... Having chicken strips is from those that don't know how to corner. :p The Road king has 'em, but the tires are new, there'll be gone by Sunday afternon. :bigsmiley11:

SledDog is right, not counter leaning but standing bike more upright and shifting weight to inner side, outside peg pressure to keep leg and bike steady........late night out!:small3d029:

I lift my toes up to! Must be some instinctive habit burned in my head from many years of ridin' and wreckin'. Kinda hard habit to break like stayin' on the brakes when the antilock kicks in!

This is all great stuff, I wish I had a group that went to a parking lot now and then. I think we need a poll of How Many Lift A Toe? :)

Funny this is on here. I have a friend that JUST FRIDAY realized he could adjust the floor boards 1 inch up or down on his road glide.

This is all great stuff, I wish I had a group that went to a parking lot now and then. I think we need a poll of How Many Lift A Toe? :)

Nothing is stopping you from doing it.

After taking a few rider safety courses, I went out and bought some of those cheap plastic cones that look like the a canning jar funnel, so I can ride over them. It is definitely a skill set that withers away without practice. Especially something like panic braking to a stop and braking hard in a turn. It should be muscle memmory. You don't have time to think when you need that skill.

basic Riders course range exercise 10 To be able to maneuver in limited spaces

This site has examples of some practice exercise courses. I found #5, #10, #12 and #16 to be helpful. Some to the weaves and turns were done with only one hand so you could better feel the push/pull of how your bike handles in smaller and tighter turns and weaves. At no time did were we above 25mph and we were still dragging pegs/boards from time to time.

There is a permanant course at a local community college. Once the snow clears, I will try an get the layout measurements and post them if anyone is interested.

I am not advocating the site above, just using it because it had courses images. Maybe it will help those that don't have a group they can ride with that has a knowledge base/skill set to share or there is not a convienent safety course. Of course, any time you can get instuction from trained staff, it is likely a good thing.

The courses I have participated in really helped me with some bad habits and gave me confidence on dragging a floorboard, braking, setting up a turn etc.

I agree with Sleddogs post. The "heart beat skipping" I was talking about was what I consider the normal excitement of riding, not that you are potentially out of control or beyond your skill set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I would throw this out there…

I live in east central Florida.. Daytona area, actually. But I ride to Jackson, Orlando and Vero Beach to visit friends on a regular basis.

I would be more than happy to help set, run, attend, or find a place (in my local area) to do some parking lot practice.

I usually trailer a sportbike and a Harley so I can ride both. I also bring a grill and coolers since these turn out to be a tailgate event. We do just about everything the Advanced Riders Course does as drills. But we also add some slow speed stuff and a sportbike fav, heavy front brake use, or endos (stoppies). We like to set up a course, kinda like the old battletrax, and do a timed run. Most times, the folks on sportbike end up doing some stunting.

So if you don't mind hanging up with some sportbike folks, great friends by the way, some on them would attend also.

Good food, riding and good friends make for a good time. These are usually dry, no alcohol, meetings. Most people will ride to it. No sense in practicing this stuff, then riding off impaired and not able to use what you just practiced.

If anyone is interested, let me know and we’ll se what we can set up.

Happy Holidays to all.

I've only made sparks while pulling out of the driveway to the left after the time I jumped and I guess that I stored it in the back of my mind, I haven't jumped since.

Used to get a little startled when I would drag on the Ultra. Then I rode the Dragon. By the time I had run it in both directions, I no longer flinched when I would drag something. Tried to count it on one pass, lost count somewhere around 40 times. I do drag on the Streetbob. However, that does not happen very often. It no longer bothers me either.

Back