free website stats program Do You Heel Shift? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do You Heel Shift?

After 40 yrs of toe shifting I got my 1st heel shifter on my 02 Kawi Nomad. It took a few weeks to adj. but its the best improvement since the hand clutch. Wouldn't be without it. But I did like the flat pad on the Nomad better than the round on on the Ultra. I'll prolly see if I can replace this with a flat pad as it doesn't require much of a heel lift to hit it.

Occasionally...still getting used to the SG (upgraded fm 1200 Sportster in Sep 09) & didn't get enough riding time in before winter arrived. Will experiment more when spring thaw comes around (-5 here today & -20's tonight).

I do use the heel shift now that I’ve lowered it, just one spline position. Big difference. Now I like it.

Never tried one, as I have a Sporty, but those who have them, clearly are divided on the issue. Personally, I would give it a try, as it is part of the traditional look and feel of a Harley, but old habits (like this old rider) die hard, so like many...choose not to use them or get the kit to "fold'em" out of the way.

Part of the problem is as PigSnot observed and noted, most new riders are introduced to heel and toe shifting not properly fitted, and not used to floorboards as well...a double whammy. Obviously if the standard HD sized rider is over 6 feet and 190 lbs, they are not setup at the factory either. Get it fitted properly to you and ride with patience and effort, I think a lot more riders would use them and like'em...JMO!

I love it, and it only took 5 miles to get used to. Most of the guys I ride with took them off though. To each his own.

Back