free website stats program Do the brake rotors require turning? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do the brake rotors require turning?

I'm approaching a brake change on my 07 SG and I was looking for a little help on if I needed to take my rotors off and get them turned. Thanks for the tips on the 12 point 1/4 socket/6mm socket, that will come in handy.

No turning on the rotors, If they are warped, replacement is the only thing. You may want to scuff up the contact part of the rotor with some very fine sandpaper just to kill the shine.

I always brake cleaned the rotors after sanding them but soap and water would work just fine

after sand you should wash them with soap and water rinse well.
Very tiny dust removed by sanding can embed in the new pads and cause brake squeal. Just some thing I have learned over the years other may diasagree.

Slider is correct of course, taking the shine off the rotors with fine grit wet/dry sandpaper and also lightly sand the new pads on a flat surface to ensure any manufacturing marks and debris removal helps the new pads to "bed-in".

Smitty is right that you should clean both the rotors and pads before use. I use BraKleen (Non Chlorinated) flushing everything over old rags as an alternative to soap & water to minimize rust and the mess washing into the storm drains, and in the event you do not complete all the work in one sitting having to store bike/brakes for a while, allowing rust to set in.

Another racer/dirt bike trick is to use a hacksaw blade and cut a single groove in the middle of the brake pads, perpendicular to the center, this allow mud & debris to clear the pad/rotor, less circular grooving, improves pad performance in the wet & break-in (and a useful visual wear indicator by not cutting all the way to the backing by 1/32" or so). Many OEM / Aftermarker pads come this way already, so this is not new, just personal preference / choice.

Last edited:
Back