Do the brake rotors require turning?

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by FLHX RIDER, Sep 7, 2008.

1. FLHX RIDER

FLHX RIDER Member

I'm approaching a brake change on my 07 SG and I was looking for a little help on if I needed to take my rotors off and get them turned. Thanks for the tips on the 12 point 1/4 socket/6mm socket, that will come in handy.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

No turning on the rotors, If they are warped, replacement is the only thing. You may want to scuff up the contact part of the rotor with some very fine sandpaper just to kill the shine.

3. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

I always brake cleaned the rotors after sanding them but soap and water would work just fine

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Slider is correct of course, taking the shine off the rotors with fine grit wet/dry sandpaper and also lightly sand the new pads on a flat surface to ensure any manufacturing marks and debris removal helps the new pads to "bed-in".

Smitty is right that you should clean both the rotors and pads before use. I use BraKleen (Non Chlorinated) flushing everything over old rags as an alternative to soap & water to minimize rust and the mess washing into the storm drains, and in the event you do not complete all the work in one sitting having to store bike/brakes for a while, allowing rust to set in.

Another racer/dirt bike trick is to use a hacksaw blade and cut a single groove in the middle of the brake pads, perpendicular to the center, this allow mud & debris to clear the pad/rotor, less circular grooving, improves pad performance in the wet & break-in (and a useful visual wear indicator by not cutting all the way to the backing by 1/32" or so). Many OEM / Aftermarker pads come this way already, so this is not new, just personal preference / choice.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  5. FLHX RIDER

FLHX RIDER Member

Thanks all, I'm make sure I check for warp, and sounds like it should be pretty easy, thanks again and ride safe.