free website stats program Do it yourself service | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do it yourself service

Good thing you caught it before you headed out. Shows the value of a good pre-ride inspection.

Thanks for the info. Not sure what I will do...I don't really have room for a lift or a cycle stand, we are in a garden home and garage is just big enough.

I've had more threads (oil, trans) drain plugs messed up by dealer mechanics when I 1st bought my old FXDWG in 1996 that I care to comment on. Stopped taking my than bike to them as soon as the warrantee was up. One of the reasons I don't trust even certified Harley mechanics. They are either in a rush or pushed to get the job done that they sometimes do a less than minimal job. I'm kind of in that delema now as I am relying on them once again so there's no question if something goes wrong. Again I'll either stop taking it to them when the warrantee is up or sell it and buy new once again. I too do in-between changes myself and double check what the stealership has done.

Case in point: When I changed my transmision fluid a couple weeks ago, there wasn't even an 0-ring on the plug. The dealer's mechanic that changed it last just used some white thread sealant.

Back