free website stats program Do I need to invest in a Race Tuner | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I need to invest in a Race Tuner

RTCUSTOM08

Hello hoping someone can help. Iam new to this site ,but I have a question. I have a 2008 softail custom. I recently installed Rush slipons and Screaming Eagle high flow air filter , now do I have to install a Race Tuner or will the bike stock ECM map be okay.Iam not planning on doing any other engine mods.
Thanks for any answers

Thank You Hobbit , but will the TFI void my warranty.Also is there a difference between closed loop or open loop.I was always told stick to the closed loop
Thanks

Thank You Hobbit , but will the TFI void my warranty.Also is there a difference between closed loop or open loop.I was always told stick to the closed loop
Thanks

TFI is VERY easy to install and operate. From Ready-Set-Go to finished is at most an hour, and that includes unbolting, raising, lowering and re-securing the gas tank. The TFI leads go in series with the existing injector leads. Meaning that you take the lead off an injector, plug it into the TFI lead and plug the other linked TFI lead back on the injector. Then repeat for the other injector. Use a bunch of plastic tie-wraps to secure the cable (if you want) to where ever you are gonna stash the module. Secure the module with the Velcro provided, hook up the ground to the negative post on the battery, set the pots and voilà!

If you don't want to argue with the Service Manager that the oil leaking out of the front shock has to be a warranty item because it can't possibly have anything to do with the TFI, then simply yank the TFI out. NP. You will be running lean then tho'. So just take it over there and let them fix the leak. Then home and reinstall the TFI.

You're good to go!

TQ

What ever you decide to do, I would do it before I rode the bike much. Your going to be way lean since you changed the air cleaner too.

best thing about the TFI is its plug and play any problems and the bike can be returned to stock - but the crux is the dealer needs to prove that the TFI caused the issue.
closed loop reads constantly from the o2 sensors but on the HD they are narrow band and if you want it to work properly then they need to be wide band as provided by zippers and there auto tune.
Open loop can only be used with exhausts without cats as they cannot provide the correct fuel mixture and they do not use o2 sensors.
So in reality closed is better for fuel and performance if tuned right

Can you only run open loop without a catalytic converter? If so are the stock pipes on my 07 FLHT goint to be ok? I just ordered a TFI today and it looks like the o2 sensors are bypassed.

Back