free website stats program Do I need to adjust the timing after top end rebuild? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I need to adjust the timing after top end rebuild?

I am just finishing up with my top end rebuild. I was told by a buddy that I need to adjust the timing on the bike before I fire it up the first time after the rebuild. Is that true? What should it be set to? Does TDC come into play after a rebuild?

I am just finishing up with my top end rebuild. I was told by a buddy that I need to adjust the timing on the bike before I fire it up the first time after the rebuild. Is that true? What should it be set to? Does TDC come into play after a rebuild?

Did you have the cam out? It would not hurt to check it , but not needed unless you have had the cam replaced JMO

You need to find TDC as you reassemble each cyl if you are using stock push rods. That will put the cams for that cyl at their lowest position for assembling your rocker arms. Timing will be set. Thats what I did when I had my rocker boxes chromed. If you are using adjustable push rods then you can assemble the cylinders and adjust your push rods per instructions that come with the push rod set.

Are you talking about ignition timing or valve timing?

If you have NOT had the cams out, you will not have an issue with valve timing. If you have, then as long as you aligned the marks on the end of the cam shafts and then aligned the marks on the sprockets, you will be timed.

If it is the ignition timing, you must have a carb. What kind of ignition are you using, HD or after-market?

TQ

You need to describe MORE about the bike Year? 02 or ? and what did you build? piston size and compression changes? cams ? what,,, if any,,, Type of tuner you use or carb or injection and IF you can advance or Retard the timing ? ... If you do that WE will understand More about the situation... Right Now IF all is in like i Think and your question is about the Electrical timing and nothing has been changed............ Fire it UP..

signed....BUBBIE

Back