free website stats program Do I Need Handlebar Risers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I Need Handlebar Risers

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I have a number of things to try and so far none of them sound too costly. The ideas about riding more for muscle strength and memory sounds like a great idea and now I can tell my wife riding is a form of physical conditioning ha ha. Thanks again for all the feedback, looking fwd to the forum.

Go to the WildOnes website;

Wild 1 Chubby Handlebars.

there are some good photos there on proper back, arm and wrist positions. Note your own riding position and I would bet you are bending a bit from the waist up which puts a strain on your lower back. Sounds to me like you need more pullback or moving the bars toward you so you can sit more in a straight up position. A back rest will help and incorporating some dead lifts into your PT will strengthen your lower back muscles which most of us don't use very much.

Getting a set of bars that fit right is not a simple task. Look up the rise, width and pull back of your bars and sit on the bike with good posture, extend your arms out about level with shoulders and slightly bent; note your wrist position. Then, if you can't get your bars to fit that position, using the dimensions of your bars, start looking for a set of bars that will fit.

IMHO, a good set of bars and a comfortable seat are probably the two most important features to get right.

Joe, adjusted the bars 1" more fwd and have done two rides long enough to casue pain before and finished both with virtutally no pain afterwards. Thanks for the tip! I like the taller feel and I think the backrest will be next.

Dolt, thanks for the info. The link to the Chubby bars was great! That is exactly the info I was looking for regarding body, arm and wrist position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back