free website stats program Do I HAVE to get manual compression releases with the 103 cu in kit? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I HAVE to get manual compression releases with the 103 cu in kit?

I have a 2008 fatboy with the 110 kit the kit comes with the compression releases and i am using the stock starter with out any problems.

Just talked to a buddy that had his Deluxe done and his sons Street Glide (what a nice dad) and he had the manual ones installed, Didn't mention that there even was automatic. However we are north of the 49 th. Burnster

Just curious if you are going with high compression pistons???

The Screamin Eagles in 05-06 all have 103" engines, none of them have compression releases. My fatboy never had a problem. I think your dealer is just trying to get you to buy something you don't need.

Bear in mind that I am NO mechanic but I don't see how cams would increase your compression. I am sure someone will enlighten me, but the 103 kit does not come with high compression pistons/rings.

it all about cylinder pressure guys....not cubic inch or compression ratio....any engine with a camshaft that has early intake closings will tax a starter....even a stock engine....if you put for example se 255 in a 88 96 103 ect and have anything other than a stock compression piston you will have a overheating PING monster....do your home work on cam selection......with the right cam you can "bleed" off low rpm cylinder pressure and run a high comp piston and no comp releases (thats why some cams say they need more compression. personally i would never put together a engine without having comp releases

scott

harley tech

I had HD do the 103 kit (w/ 255's) on my bike and I did not have comp releases. Kept bike plugged in and never had a problem 1. Now that I have new heads w/ slightly higher compression and a 575 lift cam I went ahead and had manual releases put in.

I did the 103 kit w/th 255 cam last fall to my 09 SG. I have only been able to ride it about 1,300 miles since the upgrade, but I really don't see any starting problems w/the stock starter. It may crank over for about 1-2 seconds longer than when stock but I haven't noticed any issues even when hot.
I asked my dealer about the c.r. when I had the work done and they told me I wouldn't need it unless I increase my compression. Who knows, maybe I will have issues in the future, for now I will just ride and see what happens.

glenreeder I've had hundreds of stage 2's go through the shop for as long as twin cams have been in production, and you will have more trouble free miles without having compression releases then you ever would have with them, one less thing to go south, and you don't need them for your build, your dealer did you right, they could have up sold you something you didn't need. Relax and enjoy your ride, a 09 FLHX with a solid upgrade, it don't get no better then that.
Ride safe

I have no compression release installed have gone thru one starter. I got the stock replaced under warranty, I do have the SE Comp installed and I hope the new starter lasts if not will go with the high output SE starter next time. It has been starting trouble free since the replacement, I might have worn it when I was running with no SE Comp.

I just got the 103 big bore and a 204 cam, clutch, SE Supertuner, and a few other little things on my 2007 Fatboy. Dealer put a manual compression release on both heads even though it wasn't mentioned when I set the job up. Reading the posts here it seems about 50-50 as to wheather you need it. I only had to pay for one, ($85) the dealer told me the rear cylinder is the only one that it is really needed on. They have a jig that sets up the install so it gets done right every time. It is easy to reach with left hand when sitting so I try to use it, especially when bike is hot.

The SE compensator is more of a harmonic balancer and I don't see how it would give any assistance on starting issues such as the strain on a starting motor.

It all comes down to where to stop with your additions and modifications; money and more things to give you trouble down the road.

Back