free website stats program Do I HAVE to get manual compression releases with the 103 cu in kit? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I HAVE to get manual compression releases with the 103 cu in kit?

Put them in and use them. Hot starts could be hard on the starter.
I will. But when you mentioned "stock" cams on the kit...
did you mean if I left my stock factory cams and just did the cylinders?
Or did you mean the cams that come stock with the 103" kit - the SE255's?

I will. But when you mentioned "stock" cams on the kit...
did you mean if I left my stock factory cams and just did the cylinders?
Or did you mean the cams that come stock with the 103" kit - the SE255's?

STOCK meaning what cams came from the factory in the engine.

From what I've read, upgrading the cams to SE255's and the big bore kit, it is really suggested, but not required, to put in the releases. Not doing it, will burn out your starter in a few months, unless you do not do any hot starts.

i find it amazing the difference in the UK and US our dealers do not even offer them when you ask for the big bore kits - maybe they are on to the scam of it will break the starter and thats more money??? i think i will have a word with the polish tech at our dealer he is a nutter with HD's and rides a monster sportster :D
Yes, I think a good talking to is in order. Are you porting and polishing the heads?

Last edited by a moderator:
nope going SE pro heads and i just found out why they dont offer them durhhhh i need to read the description much much better :D
they come pre drilled and machined for mechanical compression releases so knowing my dealer they would have included the compression releases other wise i could not ride :D
Yup, that would explain why they didn't offer it, they were already planning on doing that. So I guess we're both getting Manual compression releases? ;-)

With a 95 big bore kit installed and e 203 cams with 10.5 to 1 pistons will compression releases be needed?

Thanks
whit

With a 95 big bore kit installed and e 203 cams with 10.5 to 1 pistons will compression releases be needed?

Thanks
whit
I personally wouldn't, have done many engines with HD high comp. pistons all still running the original starter, you have to drill and tapped the heads and I have replaced too many S/E compression releases that fail.They don't hurt anything but after two beers most folks forget to use em that have em anyway. On a 131 jim's, yes, read all the the post above and decide for yourself. It's a strange combo going high compression with 203 cams, they are more a torque cam then hp and not a top choice of mine, 211's like compression, but on a touring bike more compression more heat and less longevity and you want the torque in the range you drive most in. Have you thought about a good gear drive? Hybrid cam plate and high flow oil pump kit? Just some thoughts, lot's of good info on this forum and it's not all the same, it's food for thought.

Hi everyone,

I have an 08 FLSTC that I'm putting the 103 cubic inch upgrade
kit on it.

The dealer highly recommended doing the manual compression
releases at the same time for easier starts.

My question is, do I have to do this, or can I just get a better
starter?

I do go on ride, but don't do too much hot starting, except to
get gas.

HD sells a higher torque starter for $525 that has 15% more torque,
would that work? Or is it really really a smart idea to do the manual compression releases?

Thanks,
Brian

Both paths have been done...and as Hobbit says he recently went with the higher torque starter because his year Street Bob was not supporting compression release introduction, and he was having problems "lunching" the stock starter. New one turns a bit slower, but never fails to turn the higher compression engine, so I would opt for that...(I also don't like the idea of drilling tricky holes in the heads and fitting additional "complex" hardware...as Chopper says, even after a couple beers...JMO. Hey it may make you not drink and drive so is worth the expense to add compression releases...:small3d023:

Last edited:
Chopper, Thanks for the update, guys that have a strong back ground in building Harley motors help the rest of us out!

When you decide and complete the work, take some pix and tell us how things are. When I had the starter problem with my Sporty I was tempted to do the autocompression release thing, until I looked into the starter and clutch drive and found HD had done a number of revisions improving it...and I am glad I stuck with just a better starter...simple and it works. Cheers to a successful upgrade.

No you DO NOT need compression releases !! Save your $$$ , you should install is the SE compensator kit instead of compression releases & you will not have any problems with starting and you wiil have a better performing scoot . I have the 103" with the 255 cams & had starting problems I had the starter replaced and still had starting problems the HD tech said I should have had compression releases installed . I decided to install the SE compensator kit and it took care of all the starting problems & it also took care of the starter clunk & eliminated 90% of the primary noise . The tech has to take off the primary to install the SE clutch kit so it should not cost to much in labor & the SE compensator kit is around $250 & the best bang for your $$$ .

Back