free website stats program Do I have crusie control....sort of? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I have crusie control....sort of?

Whiterook

I have a 07 Heritage. There is a little cog wheel at my right thumb. Is this some sort of cruise control or what? Sorry, dumb question, I'm sure.

thats what many use it for but thats not what it was designed for it was designed to idle up the carbed bikes to let them warm up

We use to call it a poor mans cruise control, I use it when I light up a smoke on the road but, not smart, they will probably put that on my grave stone when I go down some day. One thing you don't want to do though, is to unscrew it too far or it will pop the retainning ring off inside the housing and the the thumb screw will vibrate out and be lost, then you'll go to the dealership to buy a new $6.00 thumb screw and end up spending over $100.00 before you get out the door. If you do want a cruise control they make some pretty good aftermarket ones that are safe or like Smitty said they make palm rest for the throttle that will give you a break on long runs.

I have a 07 Heritage. There is a little cog wheel at my right thumb. Is this some sort of cruise control or what? Sorry, dumb question, I'm sure.

When I took delivery of my bike, the salesman told me not to use it for cruise control. He said it could be used on long, straight stretches if my hand was cramping up, but not to do it very long. There are probably better ways to deal with hand cramps...

I have that little palm rest on my 07 Heritage it works great. I have Carpal tunnel and my hand was going to sleep all the time, with that rest my hand hasn't gone to sleep once. "Knock on wood" I am looking into getting a real cruise control for mine. thumb screw bad idea. I used it once and had to hit the brakes and when I grabbed the clucth the motor sounded like it was going to blow up.

Not a dumb question, little star wheel is simply a throttle control friction lock. It is not a cruise control, which uses a multitude of sensors for speed, throttle opening and safety shut off circuits (electronic and mechancal ). If you do not do long hours droning on your ride, a throttle lock works to keep the wrist fatigue down...sometimes simplicity is a good thing.

I'll use on long rides just to add some tension to take some strain off my hand while holding the throttle. But if I'm on a long ride and my hand and wrist starts to feel really fatigued I'll tighten it enough to hold throttle in place just long enough that I can remove my hand and shake it for a few seconds to relieve some tension. But I'll only do this if I'm on a long straight stretch of rode with a good safety zone around me and never more than 4 or 5 seconds.

i used it on the sportster a couple of time, had a time or to i wish i had ot had it srewed so tight, the thumb would't loosen it as quickly as i needed it to,
the roadking i just got as cruise and i love it~

I use the thumb screw to just tighten up a little bit. Not enough to lock it, just enough to take off some of the pressure of the return spring. It helps a lot on wrist pressure. Occasionaly I will lock it, but I ONLY do this when on long hiway runs and only for a few seconds. It's not a cruise control as it holds the engine speed at one setting. If you go downhill you'll just keep picking up speed. The reverse is true on an uphill road.

Besides, with gloves on it's difficult to feel the little know anyway.

Back