free website stats program Do any of you Street Bobbers use a backpack? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do any of you Street Bobbers use a backpack?

I have tried everything. I have a mothers solo rack which I am not too fond of but have used that with bungees. Carried a back pack for a couple of years and then recently put bags on...as stated way too convenient.

My take, I never like the solo rack as I never felt it was securce doing 70-80 down the highway with my work PC under it, so most of the time I carried the back pack. It did not bother me too much but on the days where I did not need to carry it I realized how much better I felt without it loaded on my back. Now that I have the bags, I almost never need the back pack and it just makes those quick runs so much easier. I still don't have a sissy bar as I could never find one I liked, so just the solo seat with the bags, which is great. It keeps the top of the bike clean and the bags just look nice.

So in case you can't tell, I would say just get a set of bags, or possibly if you just need a small one maybe the Licks solo bag.

Glad I started this thread......good info guys!

Jack, I considered one of those. For you to recommend it, it must be stable. I assumed that the strut mounted ones would have been better but I didn't like them as well.

Sometimes I can't believe how picky I am about things that go on my bike or anything that has to do with "the ride".

I added bags, I'll ride with a backpack too if needed, I don't mind carrying stuff when I'm riding, is why a trike peaks my interest because I love the trunk. Of course any riding is a personal thing, what ever you are into.

Attachments

• IMG-20111210-00004.jpg
    IMG-20111210-00004.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 31
This year I made a weeks long roadtrip to Austria (1100km single leg journey) and explored the suroundings. I have a passenger seat on my bob and a mounted a "Bikersfriend" roll bag on that. Then I used my trekking backpack and loaded it with lighter stuff (essentially clothes & a camera). I feared it would be awefull on my back but the lower part of the pack rested on the seat and pushed up against the roll back. The effect was that of a backrest.

Needless to say, the miles roled by and I had a great trip.

So, to recap. Yes I use a backpack, but it is large enough to rest on the passenger seat.

I forgot to add a pic of my equipment on the trip, so here it is.

This one was taken at a reststop. All gear on or near the bike :)

bvh9O.jpg

Jack, I considered one of those. For you to recommend it, it must be stable. I assumed that the strut mounted ones would have been better but I didn't like them as well.

This is the one I have. Nothing wrong with the sturdiness of it. Stuff straps onto it and it protects the rear fender well. Just need to secure things down well with a good bungee.

I've got a HD back pack that I use from time to time which is ok. However, I've run into some occassions where I pick up a heavy item and need to bring it home and it's not the most comfortable. I guess if you are a good planner, it's not a bad way to go about things.

I also picked up a Kuryakyn Gran Tour seat bag. No sissy bar required. Attaches under the seat with 4 velcro straps and has 4 additional tie downs if you really feel the need. I haven't used them.

Saddlemen has a similar product with comparible storage. Really comes down to preference.

In terms of the Gran Tour, it's easy to install and remove. Packs a lot, looks pretty good, and it's nice to have something to have your back lean against on longer rides. I checked to make sure it stayed in place and eventually just stopped worrying about it because it stayed secure after several 100 miles on the Sporty.

Just food for thought.

Back