free website stats program Do any of you do your own oil changes? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do any of you do your own oil changes?

IF I didn't know what I was doing, I would get the factory manual, there's little that a person can't do with that in hand. Besides our local here is $110 an hour and I KNOW I do a better job with less mess to clean up after the job. Nobody is fussier with your bike than YOU.

Most important thing is to double check the service when you get the bike back from the dealer. Very common to be overfilled or more so under filled on the oil capacities. Remember that you don't have their top mechanic doing the oil change in the dealerships.:s

I change all of my oil on my bike too. I like getting out there and messing aound with it. Get a manual. It will show you everything you need to know.

Things we'd like to see...

Glider's "Harley Know How" DVD Series :rider

Yup, oil changes aren't that hard. :D THANKS Smitty :s, I'm still trying to survive Ike. :(

I stopped doing oil changes on all my vehicles a few years ago. I have changed oil and did most of all my mechanical work on everything I have owned from a quad, moped, go carts, to every car I have owned my whole life. I have had enough with getting oil on the garage concrete and disposing of filters and oil and crawling around on my bad knees. My dealer does it in a half hour and is roughly $25 bucks. I still maintain all the lawn equipment, but that is about it anymore. I still may do the bike from time to time, but as of now I let Harley do all the maintenance.

Wow and it went the other way for me for years I was to busy to do my own services. It was work on it or ride I chose ride, so while one was in for service I rode the other and back and forth. I had 1 rule the bike better be ready to ride when I was. I have no regrets they maintained my bikes for me well and no problems.
But now I have more time and Do many of the basic services myself.
I still drop the bike off at dealer for some services if for no other reason than to let an objective eye look it over.

I am with both of you on this...I let the dealer work on my cars (use to do the service myself for many years), because it is only $25 or so for LOF, and lifetime front end alignment (we have bumpy roads) and they remind me when service is needed and point out any problems, and just to keep local business local.

On the Harley, however, it is economics, since 1000 mi & 5000 mi service is upwards of $250-$300, it is not as good a return on investment (though I buy all my consumable/materials thru local dealer or mom & pop shops). I will of course, for major service rely on the 2nd pair of trained eyes of your local dealer from time to time and that is a good thing!:)

Back