Do any of you do your own oil changes?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by cmtbasser, Sep 18, 2008.

1. cmtbasser

cmtbasser New Member

I was thinking of doing mine myself is it a pain? , I can dispose of the old oil and filter no problem (legally!)

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Check out the oil section of the self help forum using the link below this post. It's not a difficult thing to do at all.

Usually any gas station or parts store that sells oil will take your old oil.

3. MIHDrider

MIHDrider Junior Member

yEP SURE DO AND JUST DISPOSE OF THE OLD OIL AT WORK. jOYS OF WORKING AT A CAR DEALERSHIP.

4. Fatboy07NH

Fatboy07NH Banned

Yup sure do, I also do the tranny and primary myself.

As far as the oil is concerned is easier than a car or truck. No crawling on the ground.

5. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

I would be willing to bet that the majority of people here do their own oil changes. It's easy, and will save you tons of money. The stealers charge a lot for it.

I dispose of my oil into a bucket. When the bucket is full, I take it to Auto Zone and they get rid of it for free. One piece of advice: Get the Harley service manual for your bike. You'll be surprised just how much of the maintenance you can do yourself.

6. WHM1

WHM1 Junior Member

I am not lazy but believe you can't beat a man at his own job... I let the Harley Dealer do mine. Several times they have found other issues that I would not have... yes I trust them and they have never ripped me off. Most of the time the other issues have not cost me anything. I use the mechanic from the dealer on the side for special projects that I do not want the dealer to do. Usually most mechanics have a work shop at home and work on bikes. My father-in-law was a mechanic by trade and after coming home from work having dinner he always had a project to do in his garage even completely rebuilding engines and transmissions. Once he told me he made more money in his own garage than his day job... I have a heart for those kind of people....

7. Fourdogs

Fourdogs Junior Member

Do lots of my own work...not because I don't trust the dealer but because I love messing with stuff...lol Was a HVAC tech for 37 years I guess messin with stuff never gets out of your blood. Since I've join this site man have i ever gained tons of knowledge ( just wish i could remember it)...lol Always loved gettin my hands dirty..so I also think most of us here for different reasons do a lot of our own stuff....but if it gets too big then off to the dealer I will go...lol You gotta get you a manual however...if for no other reason just to see how and whys of your bike.Also I invested in a couple of CD's and with the manual and the CDs its made a lot of things easy..the CD's are "Fix My Hog". Good Luck

8. Carroll B

Carroll B Member

I change the oil in my bike, my truck, and my vette. Use to change the oil in my boat when I owned one. You had to stand on your head to get the oil friler on that 5.7 liter in the boat. I enjoy doing it and feel no one is as careful as I am. Getting to the point where replacing brake pads on the turck just hurts my legs too much to stoop down. Use to have to do the work because I couldn't afford to pay to have it down. Now I have the tools but would rather pay the local garage to do most repairs. I feel there is a certain amount of pride in knowing you did it yourself.

9. DaveInPA

DaveInPA Frozen Account

Just to clarify, I never said the dealers are rip-offs. I'm just saying I don't like to spend money to have someone do something I can easily do myself. Doesn't make much sense to me. Harley gets the money anyway, I just spend it on things for my bikes!

10. Vibratinharley

Vibratinharley Junior Member

I guess if you have a good dealer that you trust that does a good job going over your bike, you just might be getting your moneys worth. On the other hand ( like in my case) , If you find that when you go over your bike after paying for a service and the stuff you paid for was never done, Well, it validated my decision to do my own oil changes and perform my own services. Now I know for sure that the fluids are getting changed and the service checks are getting done. My service manual is worth it's weight in gold.