free website stats program Do A Lot Of You Dislike The 2009 Frame Changes? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do A Lot Of You Dislike The 2009 Frame Changes?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I was doing some research and found a guy selling a 2009 FLHTC a few hours south of me. Amongst my list of questions, I asked him why he was selling the bike. Here's his reply:

"Now for the reason of selling it. I owned a 2001 FLHT Standard for years and had 105,000 miles on it. The motor needed some freshening up so I thought I would get a new bike to put another 100,000 or so miles on it. They changed the frame for 2009 and in my opinion, it is not as comfortable to ride. Period. It may handle better, but I'm not an aggressive rider and haven't noticed that."

He later went on to say:

"After talking to a few salesmen about trading it in, I find out I'm not alone in being disappointed in the new bikes."

In a word, I was shocked. I've never heard anyone say they weren't thrilled with the new frame/motor mount design.

Anyone else out there agree with this gentleman?

By the way, if he happens to be a member of this forum, I am not trying to "call him out" or embarass him in any way. I'm just trying to get some more information on this from the forum community.

Also, if anyone is looking for a low mileage, 2009 FLHTC in excellent condition (no ABS, standard warranty), send me a PM and I'll give you the link to his ad.

Last edited:
Only know a couple with 09's and they love them.Its a difficult thing to suggest the bike you owe 20 grand on isnt better than the old payed off one you had.For me my 08 is the best thing since sliced bread, until I get the remaining $6000 paid off.Then I'll start complaining.

I used to own a 2001 FLHTCI and now own a 2009 FLHTCU. I thought at first the new Ultra rode worse, but love the handling. Somewhere around three or four thousand miles either I got used to it or it got better, I am pretty sure it got better as it loosened up. I fall in love with this new 09 everytime I ride it

I used to own a 2001 FLHTCI and now own a 2009 FLHTCU. I thought at first the new Ultra rode worse, but love the handling. Somewhere around three or four thousand miles either I got used to it or it got better, I am pretty sure it got better as it loosened up. I fall in love with this new 09 everytime I ride it
I bought a 09 CVO Road Glide and while I think the bike handles better than my 02 & 07 Road Glides did, I'm not real happy with the "re-tune" on the suspention. On my old Road Glides I could run 20-30 psi in the air shocks and they'd never bottom out. I run 40-50 psi in my CVO and it'll bottom on a big bump. Course, I weigh, just a little bit, more than I did in 02................

It sounds like to me that it is not the changes in the 2009's as it is change in general.People are resistent to change!When you ride something for 105,000 miles and jump on something else that in itself is change.I certainly hope you find another bike you can put that kind of mileage on and be happy.
Ride safe my friend.

This is either very ironic or it hits at the heart of the problem - his bike had 4000 miles on it!

Hi, My 2009 FLHT is like riding a pogo stick on a bouncy back road. I played with the air up and down 5-35 and the more pressure I put into it the better it was on the highway and the worse it was on back roads. I could not find a happy medium. Either I was bottoming out all over the place or getting bounced off the seat. I've got 8000k on it now and I've sort of settled on low 20PSI solo (I'm 100kg) and let it bang at times. I don't reckon Harley have got this right at all. Yes it goes around corners well but I bought a tourer and not a Sportie.

Neil

There are many differences between the older ride and the new one. I know that I have bottomed out on more than one of our wonderful Connecticut potholes and thought the swingarm was dropping out! I raised the air pressure in the shocks and it is better.
I am very pleased with the 09 machine, I haven't been on my 99 Roadking since I bought the Streetglide!:D

Back