free website stats program dizzy about oil | Harley Davidson Forums

dizzy about oil

xxspark

Hello to all: Last year I did an engine ungrade to my 2002 fatboy. Went from 88" to 95". New cams,harley roller chain conversion kit and heads port and polished. Vance Hines big shot exhaust. My engine builder used dino 20/50 oil (Castrol) and sugested I stay with it. My last oil change I went with Harley 360. I was thinking about using synthetic after reading everything on the forum. I only put on a few hundred miles since the rebuild. I am hearing pros and cons . What do you guys think. Thanks

You can't go wrong with Synthetic oil. They will stand up better to hot temps better than dino oil.

Even with low mileage, the synthetics do a better job of all those interesting thing that oil is supposed do in an engine. There are several options for synthetics, pick the one you like and get out there and ride some.

I am hearing pros and cons . What do you guys think. Thanks

What pros and cons are you hearing and the forum can address them from personal experience.

The only con I can think of is the synthetic does make my top end have more noise. I gladly will take that for all the pros I've had with Synthetic.

From what I've heard from a local indy and read from Donny Peterson, stick with dino for the first 1000 to 2000 miles of breakin then go to a quality premium motorcycle synthetic oil such as Redline, Mobil 1 V-Twin, Amsoil, Spectro.
Do the 30-60-30 breakin run which can be found with a search of this site.

Enjoy the ride.

Thanks for all the replies.The negatives I've heard so much about on switching to synthetic is just as oldhippe suggest. Concern on the break period. I'm told synthetic is much thinner oil and would be a mistake at this time. 2500 miles seams to be the magic number on breakin.Before my rebuild and this great forum I never knew oil is like a religion.

Thanks for all the replies.The negatives I've heard so much about on switching to synthetic is just as oldhippe suggest. Concern on the break period. I'm told synthetic is much thinner oil and would be a mistake at this time. 2500 miles seams to be the magic number on breakin.Before my rebuild and this great forum I never knew oil is like a religion.

You can use synthetic oil from the very beginning and it will break in without a problem.

Harley Davidson Community

Back