free website stats program DIY tool for changing fork oil/spring | Harley Davidson Forums

DIY tool for changing fork oil/spring

67hat34c

instead of jacking up the bike i used a piece of PVC pipe with same ID as the fork tube OD. Cut to 5.25" then ripped about 1/3 out. made a snap on collar for the fork tube to attach between tree and lower fork. Pull up on bike to full extension and snapped on the collar. Now spring is at low tension and safe to remove the cap. Makes installation easier as well. Can push as hard as you want and bike does not move.

Sounds like a Great idea but I don't have a clue what your talking about...
"You can push as hard as you want and bike does not move" (?)

I am a guy who needs pictures..:p

Sounds like a Great idea but I don't have a clue what your talking about...
"You can push as hard as you want and bike does not move" (?)

I am a guy who needs pictures..:p

I think he made pvc spacers (open on the sides for upper tubes) that slip between the bottom triple tree and the oil seal caps on the lower fork legs . Kinda like struts. I think.... :newsmile040:

Last edited:
sounds like he made stops or supports, that slip on the outside of the forks, so you can the for oil/spring, without the bike lowering forward. He is trying to eliminate jacking up the bike.

sounds good, but when you jack up the bike you can spin the wheel for easy polishing at the same time:s

Making a 5.25" snap on collars to hold the extended forks at full length, so removal of the spring and upper retaining nut...sounds like a pretty good idea...never locked the forks extended that a way. Have to see if others have done similar. Certainly doing it using a jack works, but much more prep involved.

It must be a Sportster thing because I am lost as applying this process to FXDL stems. I can't fully extend my forks unless I jack up the bike..

To extend forks fully all that is needed is to lift up on the handlebars or under the Tripple Tree. Not that heavy.

For non sporty guys : Sportster fork caps hold the spring. You can take them off with forks down as long as you are ready for spring tension. However it is hard to push the capon and push the spring all the way down unless forks are extended. You can put on a jack but it is not very stable and you have to push down on the cap very hard. My way there is no issue with bike comming off of the jack and it takes a second to install the device.

Up to now I only had DIY tools for boating, this is my first one for the Bike. Second one made same day. Rear Belt tension tool. Used the 10lb harley tool and added a pointer to it. Pulled the clip from a tire pressure gauge and snapped it to side of the tool, bent it out 90degrees and ground a point on it with bench grinder. Use ruler by the belt and use tension tool. Can now measure exact 1/4 to 3/8 travel.

I guess this post belongs to the DIY tool thread.

Back