free website stats program DIY Projects | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

DIY Projects

Joy

Better riding it to warm things up if you can but with the salt, I agree, wait a bit to do it. The trans doesn't need to be warmed to change like the engine anyhow. A ride of about 10 miles is best to get things flowing before a change in any event .

Joy

Better riding it to warm things up if you can but with the salt, I agree, wait a bit to do it. The trans doesn't need to be warmed to change like the engine anyhow. A ride of about 10 miles is best to get things flowing before a change in any event .
Thanks for the help on the warm up. When the roads are clean (i.e., no salt), I got a nice little windy, curvy, appreciate the farm land loop that won't be a problem at all on a decent day! Right out of the garage too.....how's that for sweet? I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks again guys.

It is no fun waiting for the weather to get better! I have got a very bad case of spring fever!!!!
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that. I've decided that to be the shortest month of the year, it really drags on forever!!!! Arrrgggghhhhh!

Okay, after having the supplies to do my oil change since the end of February, I could never coordinate the time and/or weather to get the bike out for the warm up ride. Well, this weekend was different. I got the ride in, hurried home & started the project. The oil drained well. After that, everything fought me tooth & nail. It essentially took 3 evenings to complete.

My problems stemmed from whoever did the previous service, I know the shop, good folks at the front counter, but I won't be back there for any service work.

It took over 2 hrs to get the oil filter off, my husband had to help. Then I tried to move to the primary, well, the drain plug for the primary was shot. It should use a 3/16 allen wrench, and we had to use a 7 mm. We got it loose, I drained it, but since it was in sad shape, I was done with that step. I was not putting that plug back in, and for the $4 it cost to replace it, well worth waiting another day.

By this time, I thought for sure the transmission would be easy enough. Boy was I wrong. I couldn't budge the drain plug. I didn't want to bother my husband again, (he wasn't feeling well) so I got my neighbor who has a couple of race cars he wrenches all the time. I held the bike & he was using both hands, veins popping out of his neck and we were only twisting the allen wrench. While he went back to his shop, I went in and got my husband. Again, I held the bike, my neighbor had a shorter allen wrench, longer ratchet, and an 18" cheater bar. After several tries, we finally got it loose without damaging anything. After getting the drain plug out, I discovered that someone had used red locktite on it. I know from my mountain bike days that if I didn't want parts to come off, I used the red locktite, and if I thought something may need to be removed someday, I used the blue.

I guess I didn't really do it by myself, but I did most of it. And most importantly, I knew to seek help before I really make a costly mistake. I essentially got 2 things loose without help, the oil drain plug, and the transmission fill cap. Oh yeah, I got the derby cover off okay.

But, I got her done, took her for a short but sweet spin, and I know the next service will be much easier. And, at least I know how my bike is maintained now.

Overall, this is not a hard job. I was just unfortunate in having everything put on gorilla tight by someone else, more reason to do this yourself, or at least be choosy about who works on your bike. I learned a bunch. :bigsmiley8:

Basically I think a "DIY' project means you do it yourself as apposed to paying to have it done and and if you need to recruit help to get it done it is still a DIY. I just did DIY on my pipes as I did the Windshield, Engine guards. and a couple of other add ons over the past year and when I look at it now I think I think I appreciate it more than if I would have paid to have it done. congratulations on your accomplishment. :bigsmiley12:

Back