free website stats program Dissatisfied with motor rebuild | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dissatisfied with motor rebuild

The builder saying it's not the cam it's a tuning issue and he wants me to put it back on the dyno and do a "step test", of course he did not offer to pay for this test. I can't believe he won't step up to the plate and accept some of the cost for the shot gun fixes he is asking for...

The builder saying it's not the cam it's a tuning issue and he wants me to put it back on the dyno and do a "step test", of course he did not offer to pay for this test. I can't believe he won't step up to the plate and accept some of the cost for the shot gun fixes he is asking for...

I don't believe You should Pay any More $$ Charges for the DYNO.....

800 $$ and no good results on tuning should be on THEIR Dime and Not Yours....

signed....BUBBIE

I agree but when I mention that to HOT SHOTS it falls upon deaf ears.......I feel like I have done all that they haved asked at my own expense and it's now time for them to do the right thing and fork out whatever it takes to determine what it's going to require to make it run the way it is supposed to.

You're getting lots of great advice here and it seems to me that you're not some renegade customer trying to get something for nothing.

That being said, I'd go back to what Glider mentioned in the second post of this thread - might be time to speak to your state's attorney general or at least the Better Business Bureau. Maybe even small claims court. Hope you have everything documented related to this whole mess.

But somehow you still will need to Quantify the words "Stutter & Sputter" because I am sure the judge won't have a clue..

You need to find a Judge that Rides.:D

Just to let the forum know Hot Shots will not stand behind their build without me paying to find out what is wrong with it.....ie another dyno and or a performance exhaust system.. Very dissapointed!

missing with the throttle barely off the idle stop...at all RPM's..

At ALL rpm's? If that is true as in ALL RPM's, a lot of your issues may be map settings.

Adaptive systems only TRIM out cell values. They will not and can not run a cell value to an indefinite extreme. If the available trim "window" for a cell happens to be pegged, (say plus or minus 15%) it's up to you (or dyno tech) to shift the base value of the cell window. Adaptive systems also don't adjust spark advance curves, or acceleration enrichment values. That is up to you.

Since your still using Delphi firmware, you really need to find someone who fully understands engine management systems and let them use a SE VCI to record and trap some highway runs.

What did Brian at Revolution performance say about your setup and build. Did he say it should work? Did he say it was overbuilt? Did he make any recommendations?

I tried to have it tuned once I got back in Saltlake Harley and it was on there dyno for 8 hours. The system I got from Revolution Performance is now available at Dennis Kirk and here is the over view: •Just set it up and ride; Precision EMS requires no laptop, no dyno and no downloads
* Unlike other so-called self-tuning controllers, this is a true self-optimizing system
• Adjusts instantly with little or no further adjustment
• Most self-tuning controllers get a little better with each ride, requiring countless rides for it to learn more than two thousand fuel cells; Precision EMS factors air/fuel ratio, timing parameters, load and temperature ranges and adjusts instantly
• Improves the performance of everything from a stock bike to a massive 135 in.
• Retains and makes use of the stock Delphi ECU
• Keeps OEM features and safeguards like ion-sensing knock protection
• Engine-load-based timing control
• Constantly monitors and adjusts using included wide band O2 sensors
• System includes Precision EMS controller, two wide-band O2 sensors, ECU shipment box and customer information sheet
• Made in the U.S.A.

NOTE: ECU will be calibrated by Revolution Performance. Pre-paid, next-day-air package included.

NOTE: Not legal for operation on public highways in the state of California.
So with this system there is no requirement for a dyno. The dyno that the builder is wanting now is for him to diagnose what the motor is actually doing with a step dyno being performed and of course he wants me to pay for that.

On the dyne twice for a total of 8 hours once with a power commander the second time was with a master tuner that was recommened to try when Saltlake's tuner and Hot Shots pow wowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it sounds too good to be true chances are it's just sound. I don't know about or worked with the above tuner so I for one am interested in how this turns out for you. I find it difficult to believe that you can get a 100% tune with this system without a dyno but, I've been wrong before :). Goodluck and keep us updated.
I will chime in, I have an 07 Street Glide that I upgraded with an S&S 106 kit with SE 259E cams, 110 CVO heads that I reworked (cleaned up and smoothed out the ports and decked .032" to obtain 10 to 1 compression) and a Rinehart 2 into 1. Did it all this myself and tried to tune it with a SE race tuner. Got it close had it Dynoed but could never get a dead spot out of it at around 2500 to 2900 no matter what I did. So I gave up and bought the Rev Perf EMS. I am totally sold. I bolted it on and it fixed the problem immediately. I have about 900 miles on the bike since the change and I can say it has a seat of the pants power band that is smooth and pulls hard from 2200 all the way through 6000. It has never run this well. It raises the front wheel in 1st and 2nd. I will never waste my money on the SE race tuner again. PS I read all the posts on this subject and I feel for hargun2, after I couldn't fix my problem using the race tuner I had a friend suggest Rev Perf. I also read up on the product...it works! I am totally satisfied with my decision to buy the Rev Perf product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back