free website stats program Dissatisfied with motor rebuild | Harley Davidson Forums

Dissatisfied with motor rebuild

hargun2

Having an issue with Hot Shots Motor Works from Ohio that I would like to share in this forum. Shelled my motor early last summer and found Hot Shots on the web and inquired about a rebuild. I shared with Hot Shots the bikes upgrades from stock, Vance and Hines slip ons and a Power Commander. Required a total rebuild, 88 to 95, cams, lifters, valves, upgraded bearings, geared cams and misc. Long story that has spanned months but to put it in a nut shell I have a motor that still does not run right. I had the concerns the first day out when the engine would sputter/stutter at certain throttle settings. I was told that after it’s broken in and I got it dyno’d the sputter/sputter would be eliminated. Well it’s been on the dyno twice now with two different engine management systems for a total of about 8 hours and the sputter/stutter is still there. Hot Shots then recommended that I purchase a system from Precision Performance, an adaptive system that does not require a dyno and it has made a tremendous difference but the issue is still there, thanks Brian for your efforts. Contacted Hot shots again and now they are recommending that I purchase a performance exhaust system to fix the issue (skeptical) to say the least. Hot Shots will not take any responsibility for the issues I’m having with their build but they are quick to suggest buying performance parts to remedy my problem. In my opinion the motor was built around the Crane .619 lift cams that required bigger valves, head work and a performance exhaust as per Crane’s web site. Spent approx 3800.00 on the build, 800.00 on dyno runs and a Master Tuner, 700.00 plus on the adaptive tuner and now they are suggesting a 700.00 plus exhaust system, that’s just wrong!!! My experience with Hot Shots has been very frustrating and disappointing to say the least and now they have washed their hands of my dissatisfaction and left me to deal with what they built into the motor.

I would suggest to them that they rethink their position as to the corrective measures to be taken with your build and if they don't, contact your state attorney generals office and let them know that is your next step besides posting on the forum here. There are some people that would rather not get the negative publicity.
They should have known what would work with what if they were a decent builder and not suggest to "try things'' at your expense until they find a solution to the problem.

You may want to copy and paste your post to this thread too...

Dealers You Wouldn't Recommend. - Harley Davidson Community

Having an issue with Hot Shots Motor Works from Ohio that I would like to share in this forum. Shelled my motor early last summer and found Hot Shots on the web and inquired about a rebuild. I shared with Hot Shots the bikes upgrades from stock, Vance and Hines slip ons and a Power Commander. Required a total rebuild, 88 to 95, cams, lifters, valves, upgraded bearings, geared cams and misc. Long story that has spanned months but to put it in a nut shell I have a motor that still does not run right. I had the concerns the first day out when the engine would sputter/stutter at certain throttle settings. I was told that after it’s broken in and I got it dyno’d the sputter/sputter would be eliminated. Well it’s been on the dyno twice now with two different engine management systems for a total of about 8 hours and the sputter/stutter is still there. Hot Shots then recommended that I purchase a system from Precision Performance, an adaptive system that does not require a dyno and it has made a tremendous difference but the issue is still there, thanks Brian for your efforts. Contacted Hot shots again and now they are recommending that I purchase a performance exhaust system to fix the issue (skeptical) to say the least. Hot Shots will not take any responsibility for the issues I’m having with their build but they are quick to suggest buying performance parts to remedy my problem. In my opinion the motor was built around the Crane .619 lift cams that required bigger valves, head work and a performance exhaust as per Crane’s web site. Spent approx 3800.00 on the build, 800.00 on dyno runs and a Master Tuner, 700.00 plus on the adaptive tuner and now they are suggesting a 700.00 plus exhaust system, that’s just wrong!!! My experience with Hot Shots has been very frustrating and disappointing to say the least and now they have washed their hands of my dissatisfaction and left me to deal with what they built into the motor.

JUST My Opinion Here

MY WAY.... Way too big built motor and the cams for my ride or style,,, I ran 570 gear in a Much lighter bike and it was Big..

Now as far as what Has been done, DO You have any Static compression numbers taken at WOT?

This is something needed to evaluate what the engine is doing with that Big of a cam... I know I can Look BUT what are the duration numbers on that cam set?
Intake and exhaust open and close..

Who's Idea was the SIZE of the build? and parts used? Was it totally their Ideas and did they say it would work when done..?

Did you save all paper work?

If You had any input into the parts they used I doubt If anything will get accomplished for Your satisfaction..
Just a TOUGH deal that got you into a Pickle,,,, Any reputable shop would Not treat the situation this way.

I would Take Gliders advice and give them One More chance at getting it to run right OR (let them know) go to the Attorney General in your state AND have all the Facts correctly stated for them.. They May help.

signed....BUBBIE

I asked for the the 95 upgrade to happen but as far as the parts selection I left that totally up to them since they where supposed to be the experts.

I asked for the the 95 upgrade to happen but as far as the parts selection I left that totally up to them since they where supposed to be the experts.

NOW you got Two legs to stand on......

Good Luck......

Do you have the Numbers I asked for in the above post of mine?

signed....BUBBIE

In my opinion the motor was built around the Crane .619 lift cams that required bigger valves, head work and a performance exhaust as per Crane’s web site.

Can't find a .619 cam. Would you know the part number.
As far as I know, today's Crane is not the Crane of yesteryear that we remember. Once they got bought out, everything changed.

So it sounds like a missed match combination of parts that were installed. Spending more money is just going to add to the frustration. Glider has a valid point and the solution needs to be of corrective nature and pursue legal action. Best of luck.

Thanks Tbones, that information you provided is exactly the cam that went into the build. My tuner and every other engine guy that I have shared my issue with can't understand why they used that high lift cam. I have been questioning Hot Shots for months on why they choose that cam and all I get from them is that they have used it in other builds with no complaints. Well I'm complaining to a deaf ear at this point with Hot Shots. Bubbie I have not done WOT compression test but I was told that the motor has 10:25 compression.

Back