free website stats program Disk Pad Longevity | Harley Davidson Forums

Disk Pad Longevity

I see a lot of threads re: replacing pads, but I haven't seen one related to life expectancy. I know there are all kinds of variables that make the question almost impossible to answer with any precision, but I'm looking for a very rough estimate. I've got a Dyna with 10K miles on it. Two calipers on the front, one rear. I ride "normal" ie. not too hard and not too easy. Pads are original. So the question is: what's a good life expectancy for the original pads, front and rear? No precision sought, just some round number, like, for example [I'm making this up] "15K on the fronts, 25K on the rear". Anyone help? Also, can anyone provide the min pad thickness at which it is time to replace?

.04 or less for thickness, a good rule of thumb I replace the rears when I change the tire just my way

According to the Touring Service Manual, Harley pads are made with a wear bar or groove in them. If you can't discern any kind of groove and the pad looks uniformly smooth, it's probably time to replace them. I don't know if Dyna's are different but I can't imagine why they would be.

According to the Touring Service Manual, Harley pads are made with a wear bar or groove in them. If you can't discern any kind of groove and the pad looks uniformly smooth, it's probably time to replace them. I don't know if Dyna's are different but I can't imagine why they would be.
Where's that groove? Got a pic?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Fits rear '86-'99 FLT, FLHT, FLHS, FLHR models

tn162s3.jpg

Smitty, I'm not one to rip you regarding HD parts, their pads are first rate, and they stop just fine on my Sporty rear or fronts...! And the kit includes new stainless steel spring retainer and the shims. Good call in my book!

Those grooves are an old racer trick to allow debris and water to slough off the pads before they embed themselves for improved dry/wet braking at the same time. They go to within 1/16" of the backing plate, so if you see a trace of those grooves it is a good wear indicator...rather than waiting for the raised area on the backing plate to scrape and possibly groove your disc rotor waiting for the resulting brake squeal noise.

Last edited:
Going to get ripped but the stock Hd pads serve me well and work out right for milage and cost, they also are not hard on rotors as some can be.

I had a discussion with my indy mechanic when I was getting ready to replace my brake pads and he brought up this same point. The higher performance pads may be incrementally better than the HD pads but will wear out your rotor much quicker.

Smitty, I'm not one to rip you regarding HD parts, their pads are first rate, and they stop just fine on my Sporty rear or fronts...! And the kit includes new stainless steel spring retainer and the shims. Good call in my book!

Those grooves are an old racer trick to allow debris and water to slough off the pads before they embed themselves for improved dry/wet braking at the same time. They go to within 1/16" of the backing plate, so if you see a trace of those grooves it is a good wear indicator...rather than waiting for the raised area on the backing plate to scrape and possibly groove your disc rotor waiting for the resulting brake squeal noise.

Wagner Thermal Quiet pads for cars and trucks have these grooves also good idea borrowed from racing IMO

Back