free website stats program Disk locks....... | Harley Davidson Forums

Disk locks.......

Colt.45

Hey all
Just wondering.........do any of you use those disk locks? Are they any good.....any downsides to them? I am thinking about using one for night time parking on road trips etc.
Thanks.......Colt.45

I never given it much thought. I suppose they can't hurt unless you forget to take it off:D, seriously though, if you are worried about your bike being stolen, it could give you additional peace of mind.

When I park my bike I always lock the forks, ignition, and keep the fob in my pocket, someone will have to lift the bike to be able to steal it, or walk it away on the back wheel.

I have used one for years, remember to unlock it before rolling. It will slow down a thief, if they want our bikes bad enough they will just pick them up and carry them JMO

We went on a long ride a while back. A buddy has one of those disc locks and put it on when we stopped to eat. Get back to our bikes and he gets this really strange look on his face. He left the key at home. His wife was none too happy about having to go rescue him. The rest of us left him there. Couldn't ruin our day of riding because he's not too smart :D
So if you get one, keep it locked when not in use. Then if you don't have the key to unlock it, you won't be able to put it on.

When away on a trip I lock the ignition and the forks my old bike needs a big padlock for the forks I have an old brass padlock army issue for locking armoured vehicles which fits just fine
Each of the bikes also has a heavy duty chain in the saddlebag and I chain the bikes together

Brian

I've written before about a video I saw in Daytona years ago. It shows a biker locking his bike's ignition and a disc lock. He walked into a bar and a pick up with 4 guys in the back rolled up and picked the bike up and put it into the back of the truck. Total time for the theft, 12 seconds. I keep a chain and hardened lock with the bike and lock it to another bike or something permanent like a utility poll. Your call.

When just out around town I usually don't even lock my ignition. When on a long ride I lock ignition and forks. If somebody wants it bad enough they will take it, locked tight, alarmed or whatever. I make sure my insurance is up to date and don't worry about it.

When just out around town I usually don't even lock my ignition. When on a long ride I lock ignition and forks. If somebody wants it bad enough they will take it, locked tight, alarmed or whatever. I make sure my insurance is up to date and don't worry about it.

X2 on that

Back