free website stats program discontinued cruise control | Harley Davidson Forums

discontinued cruise control

scubaz71

Well here is my issue. I just bought my 07 FLHX this July and I love it. Now after putting a few thousand miles on it I want to add the factory cruise control to it. I thought this was going to be a quick and easy install for the dealership. Well when I called to get one ordered I was told that it does not show up as a part that they can order out of the new catalog. So the fella looked in one of the older catalogs and found the part number so he punched into the computer and it came up as a discontinued item. So then he called and looked some more and there are only 3 dealerships in the US that show they have one in inventory and also he mentioned that he wasn't sure if the other dealerships were willing to part with them. Now why in the world would you discontinue such an item so soon?? Also what about the bikes that already have them on it and they go bad or need to be replaced due to an accident? Can someone shed some light on this as to why HD would do this?Is there an aftermarket substitute for this cruise control?

Now why in the world would you discontinue such an item so soon??

That is a good question. Maybe the demand for the kit was so low due to cost of parts and labor to install it.?

I also don't know why the dealership would not be "willing to part with them" if you wanted to buy it.

As for after sale support for those that already have it? No different than any other discontinued item. "On a best served basis". HD is not required to support an option like that if they choose to discontinue it. But since it is HD and similar to owning a "327 Chevy", tons of support, parts, aftermarket, bones yards, of parts & help is out there years after something is no longer manufactured.

All of these thought are good. It would be frustrating to have a vehicle that is only 4 model years old and a component or updated replacement is not available. Wonder what the ramifications would be if a customer had a HD extended warrty that has cruise control coverage and a component failed. Then what????

Wonder what the ramifications would be if a customer had a HD extended warrty that has cruise control coverage and a component failed. Then what????

That is another Good question. I wonder if the individual pieces are still available but it is no longer available as a Kit under 1 part number for the whole shooting match.

I was in shock when I wanted to buy a spare starter pinion gear for my 2009 part number 31345-06. Guess what, discontinued. Only available as a entire starter drive assembly. An that's on a 1 1/2 year old bike. So we go from a $24.00 part to $150 dollar part. Makes me upset.

Actually generating and sustaining a given part number is expensive...and requires just as much trouble to produce new part that may not be compatible with older models as it is to make a special manufacturing run for it. There are also taxes to pay on inventory and stocking parts. Also, if you update by revision level, you have to maintain two or three part numbers until the other supplies are depleted, "discontinued" or "obsoleted".

Also, there is a world wide shortage of electronic components right now...due to the economy and because inventories are trimmed down to the bone, again to avoid taxes and other fees. I know the starter drive gear/clutch assy was revised 4 times on my 2004 Sportster...all the down rev ones are available, but then who would want them knowing that they were having problems with them (the new one has a beefier sealed bearing...don't know about the internals, but did not want to second guess). No need to pull the starter out again anytime soon!

Last edited:
Actually generating and sustaining a given part number is expensive...and requires just as much trouble to produce new part that may not be compatible with older models as it is to make a special manufacturing run for it. There are also taxes to pay on inventory and stocking parts. Also, if you update by revision level, you have to maintain two or theree part numbers until the other supplies are depleted, "discontinued" or "obsoleted".

That is so true. It is expensive. That is why I was scratching my head when I looked through the 2011 HD catalog at their latest line up. Thirty two (32) different models for 2011. Is that really necessary?

Yes a large portion of the parts are common to all bikes but really... 32 models? One of them even has a 2.1 gallon gas tank. With the accuracy of HD's fuel sending units, I bet the low fuel light comes on 500 feet after you leave the station.:)

I might be wrong but in the car industry a ten year availability is the norm.
As Hoople has stated it is frustrating but a least the whole assembly is available. As in scubaz71 case there appears to be nothing available. This has also come up in this post 2007 FLHTC Cruise Control - Harley Davidson Community with no corrective capabilities and he has part of the cruise on a touring bike.

As in scubaz71 case there appears to be nothing available.

There are 3 kits still available. Support after the sale? You need the Bill of material list that comes with the kit. Maybe the individual parts are available.
Do we really know.

As far as the auto industry is concerned. The individual parts usually get substituted to an assembly which in a lot of cases will make people give up trying to fix their old cars. And that is what the parent company really wants you to do. These days you almost can't afford to fix a car out of warranty. And that's by design.

Wait till 2011 CAN network. Extended warranty will be a must.

There are 3 kits still available. Support after the sale? You need the Bill of material list that comes with the kit. Maybe the individual parts are available.
Do we really know.

As far as the auto industry is concerned. The individual parts usually get substituted to an assembly which in a lot of cases will make people give up trying to fix their old cars. And that is what the parent company really wants you to do. These days you almost can't afford to fix a car out of warranty. And that's by design.

Wait till 2011 CAN network. Extended warranty will be a must.

Good point Hoople.
Wonder with the CAN network if the MOCO will extend or add components to the emission warrty??

Back