free website stats program Disconcerting Cruise Control | Harley Davidson Forums

Disconcerting Cruise Control

unwwwired

I just went out to start my '09 Road King for its intermittent, below 0 degrees, winter start, and I noticed a peculiar thing. The cruise control indicator light was lit-up on the gauge - and I couldn't turn it off. I turned-off and started it again; tried switching into gear; toggled the cruise set/resume button a couple of times - but it still sat there looking at me, glowing orange.

Is this going to need to visit the doctor?

I just went out to start my '09 Road King for its intermittent, below 0 degrees, winter start, and I noticed a peculiar thing. The cruise control indicator light was lit-up on the gauge - and I couldn't turn it off. I turned-off and started it again; tried switching into gear; toggled the cruise set/resume button a couple of times - but it still sat there looking at me, glowing orange.

Is this going to need to visit the doctor?

Are you saying your starting the bike up and not riding it? If so that not such a good idea. If tender not available advise getting one. Install tender and for-git about it till spring. Only 70 days away.........:yes

If your not ready to ride it long term , best off to leave it til spring, too much un burned gas will settle in the oil and contaminate it not a good thing IMO

Did You try turning the switch off ? On my 08 fltr the light is red when the cruise switch is on and the ignition is hot . Does the cruise light stay on with the ignition off ? If so there may be a electrical problem .

Jack is right on about starting and not letting run long enough to burn off the rich mixture. Also it will draw in moisture into the engine and exhaust. As said leaveit until the riding season starts again.
kemo

If the cruise control circiut is energized, the light will glow orange. When you engage the cruise control, the light will glow green. If you do not want to see the orange light, turn the cruise control power switch off.

If the cruise control circiut is energized, the light will glow orange. When you engage the cruise control, the light will glow green. If you do not want to see the orange light, turn the cruise control power switch off.

The switch IS OFF, but the orange light is still lit

This is from my Owner's Manual, p. 157.

"WINTER LUBRICATION
In colder climates, the engine oil should be changed often. If motorcycle is used frequently for short trips, less than 15 miles (24 kilometers), in ambient temperatures below 60° F (16° C), oil change intervals should be reduced to 1500 miles (2400 kilometers). Motorcycles used only for short runs must have a thorough tank flush-out before new oil is put in. The tank flush-out should be performed by an authorized dealer or qualified technician.

NOTE
The further below freezing the temperature drops, the shorter the oil change interval should be.

Water vapor is a normal by-product of combustion in any engine. During cold weather operation, some of the water vapor condenses to liquid form on the cool metal surfaces inside the engine. In freezing weather this water will become slush or ice and, if allowed to accumulate too long, may block the oil lines and cause damage to the engine.

If the engine is run frequently and allowed to thoroughly warm up, most of this water will become vapor again and will be blown out through the crankcase breather. If the engine is not run frequently and allowed to thoroughly warm up, this water will accumulate, mix with the engine oil and form a sludge that is harmful to the engine. "

I let the bike run for a good 5-6 minutes. It's warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back